Bike keeps blowing fuses!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bike keeps blowing fuses!

hey whats up guys today i got stuck for a second on the road while riding my bike just gave out and i thought the battery was drained! a guy helped me try to jump the battery and nothing...

it turns out the previous owner installed an inline fuse to i dont know where exactly but it was blown and the bike CAME with several 15 amp fuses in a bag and NOW i know why they came with the bike... put the new fuse in and the battery turned on and started right up! i just want to know if anyone experienced could know what this is and why the 15 amp fuses keep blowing (only happended to me once) i dont want a fuse to "blow" on me while im riding in freeway traffic in the left lane...
    Originally posted by tkent02
    That's not a tree, that's a shrubbery. Now get to work on that old dirt bike
    John 3:16

Originally posted by GabrielGoes View Post
    hey whats up guys today i got stuck for a second on the road while riding my bike just gave out and i thought the battery was drained! a guy helped me try to jump the battery and nothing...

it turns out the previous owner installed an inline fuse to i dont know where exactly but it was blown and the bike CAME with several 15 amp fuses in a bag and NOW i know why they came with the bike... put the new fuse in and the battery turned on and started right up! i just want to know if anyone experienced could know what this is and why the 15 amp fuses keep blowing (only happended to me once) i dont want a fuse to "blow" on me while im riding in freeway traffic in the left lane...

just a guess, did he rewire the R/R with a direct output to the battery? Apparently in that configuration you need a larger 20 amp at least and some guys are doing 30 amps.

Comment

Look for any loose wires, or anything that might move and cause a short. When I installed my Dyna coils, I have very little clearance (we're talking 1mm-2mm) between the coil connections and the mounting post. A bit of hard acceleration was all it took to close the gap and blow my ignition fuse on the way to work one day. My horn wires gave me fits for a little while as well, they'd flap around in the breeze, striking the frame every now and then, causing intermittent problems.

Comment

Working...
      X