Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Replaced the turn signals but fronts are not flashing???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replaced the turn signals but fronts are not flashing???

Thanks for any help in advance. I put new turn signals on the back of the bike and they are fine. I purchased a second set for the fron and now it is not flashing. These are simply bulb signals, single filament. Was I supposed to get a different type for the front? Please help, the bike is sad. It is an 83 GS 1100 E. Sweet bike but I can't ride with no signals! Thanks again for any advice.

Originally posted by pcaden View Post
    Thanks for any help in advance. I put new turn signals on the back of the bike and they are fine. I purchased a second set for the fron and now it is not flashing. These are simply bulb signals, single filament. Was I supposed to get a different type for the front? Please help, the bike is sad. It is an 83 GS 1100 E. Sweet bike but I can't ride with no signals! Thanks again for any advice.
    If they're the stock type, with three wires you need to assure they're hooked up right. They'll also need to have dual filament bulbs as that bike has running lights. The load is not going to be right, and the flasher won't see it. If they're aftermarket lights, you'll likely need to purchase an aftermarket flasher from any autoparts store as the stock flasher and autocancel require a specific load in order to function correctly.

Comment

Hmmm I am now confused about the turn signals

My 83 GS 1100E is stock but there were only two wires in the front and two wires in the back for the signals. I changed them out with single filament signals on both the front and rear. The backs were working fine, but when I added the front signals the system freezes up and will not flash. If I get 3 wire turn signals for the front then where does the third wire go? As I said, the stock signals both front and back were 2 wires. I do know that the front had running light feature and perhaps that has something to do with it. Please let me know if you can help me to get them back working. I do NOT want to put the gigantic originals back on so I just have to get this fixed. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Comment

Hi,

As Mr. TCK said, if you have installed blinkers with bulbs smaller than stock, you'll also have to replace the stock flasher (turn signal relay). The stock flasher unit wants to "see" a certain amount of load (resistance) in order to function properly. If you have changed (lessened) that load with the new bulbs you'll also have to change the flasher. Sometimes a cheap 2-prong flasher (522 or 552) will work in the stock socket. Sometimes you have to install an electronic flasher (like an EP-34). I documented my turn signal relay replacement on my website. See if it helps you.

For three-wire blinkers, one is ground, one is for the blinker filament, and one is for the running light filament. There should be an extra, switched, 12v wire in the headlight bucket to attach the running lights to.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

I encountered the same problem on my '80 GS750E. I purchased a K&L electronic flasher relay for $9.99. It plugs into the stock connector and works well. Also did a little research and figured out that a Honda Relay Holder Pt #38306-292-000 fits the K&L relay and the post on the GS frame, making for a very clean installation.

Comment

Just had to change my flasher relay today. $8.99 Tridon/Turn Signal Flasher #EL12 from autozone (lol). Plugged the 2 prong flasher into the 3 prong connector and it started flashing better then stock (lol).I'm sure I wasn't the first.

Comment

Working...
            X