Speedometer issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speedometer issue

Ok, I just recently got my 81 GS650L in trade. Due to working day shift, and having bad weather I just got to take a decent look at some of the items on it. I noticied that my speedo cable is missing. There is nothing connected to the back of the speedo, nor is there a cable hanging anywhere.

I noticied on the left front fork, near the brake disc there is a piece missing, is that where the speedo drive attached? Is that piece and the cable available for sale? Are they hard to hook up?

Thanks

Dustin

no they are not hard to hook up they just screw in the speedo cable is on the front wheel on the left side you will run from there to speedo and screw it in the back of it

Comment

Any particular company online I can order the speedo gearing set (that goes on the left side of the wheel) and the cable from?

Comment

you should just need a cable from what i see online your cable is around 15 bucks on ebay

Comment

Your speedo gear is item # 12 in this pic and is Part# 54600-49100.

Comment

If the whole speedometer drive gear is missing from the front wheel, what is in there for a spacer? The speedo drive gear provides the proper spacing for the left side of the front wheel. You can check and see if the drive gear appears to work properly (if it's there) by spinning the front wheel with the bike on the center stand and put your finger on the little nub that turns the cable. If it's turning you should be good there.
            If the driver is missing that can also be ordered. Try PartsShark.com, they have a parts breakdown and should have both your cable w/housing (they come as a unit) and the speedo drive gear.

Comment

Yep, thats the piece thats broken. Just looked it up on the alpha-sports page and its listed at $86.54. I guess thats not tooo bad.

Thanks everyone,

Dustin

Comment

Originally posted by DanTheMan View Post
                If the whole speedometer drive gear is missing from the front wheel, what is in there for a spacer?
                From what I saw yesterday it is missing the top 1/3 piece of the metal housing. Just no hookup for a speedo cable, nor the cable itself.

Thanks

Dustin

Comment

Working...
                X