anybody offer upgraded electrical systems for bikes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

anybody offer upgraded electrical systems for bikes

I am wondering if anyone ever made a fuse block with everything installed in it? I am meaning with a spot for the blinker and extra fuse spots for gps or cell phone, stereo. I am not sure what else would be needed. Then run new wires from it to rr, headlight,horn,ect... I was wondering what a diagram would look like what would be needed, or does someone sell something that is univerial would work in a older bike?

Sure, there are other fuse panels out there, cost ranges from about $80 to $130. Most of them have an extra spot or two for accessories, but you don't really want to have the "blinker" on there. Most of the larger GSs have an auto-cancelling system that does not use a standard "blinker", so anything that is available aftermarket will not work.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

$80 to $130? Yikes!

Here's what I'm getting ready to use, for $13.93. I like the gasketed cover, but it's going to take a little ingenuity to get it mounted and gang the appropriate circuits together.

Dogma
      --
      O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
      '80 GS850 GLT
      '80 GS1000 GT
      '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by Dogma View Post
        $80 to $130? Yikes!
        Yikes, indeed.

Sorry, I missed some cheaper ones.

Blue Sea 6 $35

Electrical Connection $45

Eastern Beaver Fuse panel only, $65. Panel with relay kit, $86-100

Fuzeblocks $80

Couldn't find the $135 one I saw the other night, so I will just leave you to browse this assortment:

Painless Performance

sigpic
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

oh man...
          i'd like to try some eastern beaver ..even at a hundred bucks!

Comment

Thats friggin funny Hahaha

Comment

Way overkill, I have a Painless wiring weather proof 40A relay powering my fuse block on my 850

Biggest up grade seems to be the New Compu-fire regulator pn 55402
              or DennisKirk.com pn 209632
              Last edited by Guest; 08-16-2010, 01:10 AM.

Comment

I've seen that Blue Sea, it would be my current choice if I chose to upgrade.
                Dogma, let us know how that one works out, the price is certainly in GSR limits (cheap).

Comment

Dogma and I have the same plans for the same panel. You dont need much in the way of "All out" fuse panels. You can also go a bit better on the fuses by going with breaker style fuses that will fit the panel Dogma listed. Steve, other than losing the Auto-canceling, any other reason to not have the signal rely on the block?

Comment

I was thinking it would save some of the troubles with the electrical systems. I don't have auto cancelling turn signals. I replaced my battery wires with multi strand wire but it is a little bit stiff. Is there any reason that would cause any problems? I know it will be harder to bend, I used crimp on connectors and crimped them with a hammer. They were to big to use the auto wire crimpers I have. Thanks for the info I am thinking newer fuses would be nice so I dont need to keep 2 different kinds.

Comment

Originally posted by Hammered View Post
                      Steve, other than losing the Auto-canceling, any other reason to not have the signal rely on the block?
                      Nope. If you are not worried about losing the auto-cancel, go for it.

Just a note for some of the guys that might consider this: Check your auto-cancel. Some of them work differently and take different methods to bypass them. If you are totally re-wiring the bike it won't matter, but if you plan on retaining parts (or most) of your original harness, check the auto-cancel circuit. I know the '79 850 is different, I don't know if that extends to all the '79-and-older bikes that have auto-cancel.

sigpic
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride

Comment

Working...
                      X