Odd random starting problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Odd random starting problem

Got a new one for you guys (probably not, but I couldn't find anything about it).

When I start my bike cold it starts 90% of the time no problem. The other 10% there's no solenoid click, nothing. Sometimes if I turn the ignition on and off a few times, I hear the click of the solenoid and a hint of the starter motor spinning just before the switch is completely off. If I then turn it back on and hit start it fires right up.

When hot, it starts about 20% of the time. Same symptoms. I may get lucky after messing with the switch, or I may be bump starting. Where should I go first?

(Battery is fine, I promise. Charging system is fine, I promise.)

When you don't get the "click", are your lights on? If not, check your ignition switch contacts.

If your lights are on, check the kill switch and/or starter button contacts.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

possibly a faulty ignition switch, or maybe just a bad connection somewhere in your starter circuit.check all connections between your starter button and starter solenoid and motor
      1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        When you don't get the "click", are your lights on? If not, check your ignition switch contacts.

If your lights are on, check the kill switch and/or starter button contacts.

Yes all running lights and dash lights are perfect. Thanks for the info. I guess a switch test/cleaning is in order. I've had trouble with the kill switch before so I guess the starter button makes sense.

Anyone have any experience with an aftermarket killswitch/switch housings? Any of these accommodate the throttle cable?

Parts Unlimited is the world’s largest distributor of aftermarket accessories in the powersports industry.

such as these^^^^^^^^^^^^

Comment

I would specifically look at where the kill switch connects to the starter solenoid, maybe you have a bad connection where the kill switch connects to it? Or the ground needs cleaning on it? Good luck!

Comment

I'd just pull apart the starter switch, carefully, inside a zip lock bag

It's probably corroded

Same with the ignition switch - just pull off the electrical plate (it's the 1st thing you come to) and clean all the contacts. It could probably use the cleaning, even if it's not the source of your problem

If neither of these work, pull the starter solenoid and carefully open it up and clean it out

Your solution is most likely one of these 3 steps, the kill switch is also a possibility
            1978 GS 1000 (since new)
            1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
            1978 GS 1000 (parts)
            1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
            1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
            1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
            2007 DRz 400S
            1999 ATK 490ES
            1994 DR 350SES

Comment

I recently did the same...only my problem was related to spin, but no spark. Found the contacts on the killswitch were WORN (not corroded) to the point that they were never ever making contact. Ended up replaceing the whole unit. *I* personally never use my killswitch, except in emergency situations, but I know alot of guys that use it constantly to shut the bike off. Its a two contact, slider type switch, so wear could be a factor..

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                I recently did the same...only my problem was related to spin, but no spark. Found the contacts on the killswitch were WORN (not corroded) to the point that they were never ever making contact. Ended up replaceing the whole unit. *I* personally never use my killswitch, except in emergency situations, but I know alot of guys that use it constantly to shut the bike off. Its a two contact, slider type switch, so wear could be a factor..
                As it turns out, it was the solenoid. I took it apart and found the metal plate contacts to be worn. I flipped the ones attached to the posts over (non worn side) but the metal on the center post is held on with some odd type of brass keeper thing...how do I get this bugger off to flip the center plate, and also are there any other procedures for cleaning/refurbing the solenoid while I'm in there?

Comment

Spray it with contact cleaner

I don't know how to flip the part

IF it can't be cleaned, get a new one. I hear Home Depot has a similar one for lawn tractors
                  1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                  1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                  1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                  1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                  1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                  1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                  2007 DRz 400S
                  1999 ATK 490ES
                  1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
                    Spray it with contact cleaner

I don't know how to flip the part

IF it can't be cleaned, get a new one. I hear Home Depot has a similar one for lawn tractors
                    This brings me to my next question: is a 12V solenoid a 12V solenoid? If so, I have a Suzuki Madura frame with most the parts attached, including a starter solenoid. I don't figure it too difficult to make it fit somehow.

Comment

Originally posted by lordcannon88 View Post
                      This brings me to my next question: is a 12V solenoid a 12V solenoid? If so, I have a Suzuki Madura frame with most the parts attached, including a starter solenoid. I don't figure it too difficult to make it fit somehow.
                      well NO, but if you have a replacement with similar application\current capacity it will probably work.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                        well NO, but if you have a replacement with similar application\current capacity it will probably work.
                        A 1985 Suzuki Madura 1200....I figure it'll be close enough.

Comment

Working...
                        X