Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Okay, so it's not good news. I did the Phase B tests with the following results:

1. 1.4, 1.4, 1.4
    2. Infinite X3
    3. 76V+ for each leg

And now for the bad news...
    4. Leg to ground at approx. 5000RPM with a hot engine - approx. 16 volts for each leg.

So could this be a pinched wire or is this more likely a bad stator? I realized I'll be pulling the stator but it seems odd that all 3 legs are grounded like that.

Damn.

Comment

Originally posted by Skinner View Post
      Okay, so it's not good news. I did the Phase B tests with the following results:

1. 1.4, 1.4, 1.4
      2. Infinite X3
      3. 76V+ for each leg

And now for the bad news...
      4. Leg to ground at approx. 5000RPM with a hot engine - approx. 16 volts for each leg.

So could this be a pinched wire or is this more likely a bad stator? I realized I'll be pulling the stator but it seems odd that all 3 legs are grounded like that.

Damn.
      You can see why I constantly reiterate doing leg to ground at 5k! Even the leg to leg is questionable and don’t get me started on the ohm meter.

you can do a detailed inspection and possibly not find anything . If that is the case see if you can send it back to Ricks. I never liked how little epoxy they used, but then I’m jumping to conclusions.

if you want to do a service to the GSR get a megger off eBay and do some testing. Make sure there is no possibility of of shorting of leads which would leave the grounding to something in the stator.
      Last edited by posplayr; 07-03-2018, 11:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
        You can see why I constantly reiterate doing leg to ground at 5k! Even the leg to leg is questionable and don’t get me started on the ohm meter.

you can do a detailed inspection and possibly not find anything . If that is the case see if you can send it back to Ricks. I never liked how little epoxy they used, but then I’m jumping to conclusions.

if you want to do a service to the GSR get a megger off eBay and do some testing. Make sure there is no possibility of of shorting of leads which would leave the grounding to something in the stator.

It's actually an RM Stator, not a Ricks. I'm in Canada and so is RM, so the shipping was free and the price was right. There is a 1 year warranty on it, and it's only 2 or 3 months old.

I can't imagine that I pinched 3 wires and grounded them out, but I will check. The oil is draining as I type. Is there a stator brand that you would recommend? I'm going to try for a warranty replacement on this one, but if that doesn't work out I'll be looking for another.

Comment

Electro sport

Comment

Electro sport
            Well, there are no pinched wires. They look good from stator to connectors at the other end. I slid the fabric insulation sleeve up from both ends so I could check thoroughly. That said, I'd be surprised if I had pinched all 3 wires. Could there be an internal stator problem that's causing it ground out when it gets hot?

I'm emailing them now about warranty and will quote my test results

Comment

Originally posted by Skinner View Post
              Well, there are no pinched wires. They look good from stator to connectors at the other end. I slid the fabric insulation sleeve up from both ends so I could check thoroughly. That said, I'd be surprised if I had pinched all 3 wires. Could there be an internal stator problem that's causing it ground out when it gets hot?

I'm emailing them now about warranty and will quote my test results
              The wire is typically insulated (but thin) and then they should cover them in epoxy to immobilize the windings. It would be hard to figure out where the short was unless there was some obvious damage like you dropped the stator and you coudl see a cracked insulation.

Comment

The wire is typically insulated (but thin) and then they should cover them in epoxy to immobilize the windings. It would be hard to figure out where the short was unless there was some obvious damage like you dropped the stator and you coudl see a cracked insulation.
                Didn't see anything like that but, like you said, it may be tough to see. It certainly wasn't dropped or mishandled, at least by me. I still have my old stator and have installed it while I wait on a new one. It wasn't working the best, but it's better than not at all.

Preliminary Phase B tests on the old stator showed 1.2 ohms on all 3 legs and infinite to ground. Waiting for a battery charge to do the voltage tests.

Comment

Just to add to the thread, I started my bike the other day and it was a bit sluggish but started so I just thought it must be my imagination but on my way out and about I noticed the indicators would stay on and not flash so when I arrived home I put a multimeter on the battery and found it was only 12.6 at whatever the rev range.

My immediate reaction was oh my word I'm going to have to buy a new stator, mosfet series R/R and sell some internal organs to cover the cost.

Once I had calmed down I started to read posplayr's many pages on the GS charging system the main message that came up was check the connections, both earth and live.

I started by cleaning all the earth points in the loom, regulator-rectifier earth cables and mounted them in 1 place also I checked and cleaned the earth point from the battery to the frame and made a new cable from the earth on the battery to the earth point where all the other earths were mounted. I also cleaned all the live side of the charging circuit including removing all the fuses and cleaning the mounts and the fuses themselves.

I had put the battery on charge the night before so it was fully charged when I put it back on the bike and was good to go.

When I fired the bike up I had 12.8v at idle and 13.6v at 2000 rpm rising to 14.2v at 5000 rpm.

So the moral of the tale is before you get drastic with the plastic go back to basics and check and clean the connectors then have a single point earth connection with a good connection to the battery and to earth on the frame, worst case at least you know the wiring is good or in my case it actually sorted out my problem.
                  Jeff

Living the dream...

1980 GS1000 that has been modestly modified.

Comment

Originally posted by bobtail84 View Post
                    Just to add to the thread, I started my bike the other day and it was a bit sluggish but started so I just thought it must be my imagination but on my way out and about I noticed the indicators would stay on and not flash so when I arrived home I put a multimeter on the battery and found it was only 12.6 at whatever the rev range.

My immediate reaction was oh my word I'm going to have to buy a new stator, mosfet series R/R and sell some internal organs to cover the cost.

Once I had calmed down I started to read posplayr's many pages on the GS charging system the main message that came up was check the connections, both earth and live.

I started by cleaning all the earth points in the loom, regulator-rectifier earth cables and mounted them in 1 place also I checked and cleaned the earth point from the battery to the frame and made a new cable from the earth on the battery to the earth point where all the other earths were mounted. I also cleaned all the live side of the charging circuit including removing all the fuses and cleaning the mounts and the fuses themselves.

I had put the battery on charge the night before so it was fully charged when I put it back on the bike and was good to go.

When I fired the bike up I had 12.8v at idle and 13.6v at 2000 rpm rising to 14.2v at 5000 rpm.

So the moral of the tale is before you get drastic with the plastic go back to basics and check and clean the connectors then have a single point earth connection with a good connection to the battery and to earth on the frame, worst case at least you know the wiring is good or in my case it actually sorted out my problem.
                    Thanks for posting. It is a wonderful case study in practicality and being one with the natural order.

Comment

Thanks for posting. It is a wonderful case study in practicality and being one with the natural order.
                      No problem, it just makes sense to start at the beginning.
                      Jeff

Living the dream...

1980 GS1000 that has been modestly modified.

Comment

Originally posted by bobtail84 View Post
                        No problem, it just makes sense to start at the beginning.
                        No truer words were spoken.

Comment

Thanks for the tip.

Comment

Thanks for sharing. When it comes to electrical, I am such a putz. Need to.spen sometime to really understand the electrical system on my new to me GR650
                            1983 GR650 Tempter Rebuild - Completed and Sold

Comment

Need some help with my 1981 GS750L that is not charging properly.
                              Initial voltage tests:
                              off 12.8
                              key on 12.08
                              idle. 12.82
                              2500 rpm 12.7
                              5000 rpm 12.57
                              off 12.8

This is my best recollection of my process
                              -I noticed some warmth coming from the bullet connectors (r/r) when the bike was running
                              -I cleaned bullet connectors/dielectric grease applied
                              -I tried running it with no improvement
                              -I cleaned B/W ground ring terminals from harness and their mounting points
                              -I cleaned ground from battery to engine
                              -Upon reconnecting B/W ring terminals discovered an arc and all B/W wires measured 12+ volts (I must have left key on and probably shouldnt have had the battery still connected, but here we are)
                              -Proceeded to start inspecting all B/W wires figuring there must be a wire damaged somewhere allowing 12v into the ground circuit
                              -checked fuses/fuse panel

Other notes:
                              -I do have a windjammer fairing that I had to wire up the bike side connector but the bike ran fine for nearly a year with this setup.
                              -It does have an aftermarket airhorn which I is believe is connected properly
                              -I recently added a voltage meter (which I believe is connected properly) so initially when I realized I had an issue I could ride the bike and pay attention to voltage(voltage tests above were taken with multimeter)

So before I start removing all the aftermarket stuff, and continue inspecting every wire, is there something I'm missing? Could a faulty R/R, stator or other electrical component be causing this?

TIA

Comment

Originally posted by NOXUZ View Post
                                Need some help with my 1981 GS750L that is not charging properly.
                                Initial voltage tests:
                                off 12.8
                                key on 12.08
                                idle. 12.82
                                2500 rpm 12.7
                                5000 rpm 12.57
                                off 12.8

This is my best recollection of my process
                                -I noticed some warmth coming from the bullet connectors (r/r) when the bike was running
                                -I cleaned bullet connectors/dielectric grease applied
                                -I tried running it with no improvement
                                -I cleaned B/W ground ring terminals from harness and their mounting points
                                -I cleaned ground from battery to engine
                                -Upon reconnecting B/W ring terminals discovered an arc and all B/W wires measured 12+ volts (I must have left key on and probably shouldnt have had the battery still connected, but here we are)
                                -Proceeded to start inspecting all B/W wires figuring there must be a wire damaged somewhere allowing 12v into the ground circuit
                                -checked fuses/fuse panel

Other notes:
                                -I do have a windjammer fairing that I had to wire up the bike side connector but the bike ran fine for nearly a year with this setup.
                                -It does have an aftermarket airhorn which I is believe is connected properly
                                -I recently added a voltage meter (which I believe is connected properly) so initially when I realized I had an issue I could ride the bike and pay attention to voltage(voltage tests above were taken with multimeter)

So before I start removing all the aftermarket stuff, and continue inspecting every wire, is there something I'm missing? Could a faulty R/R, stator or other electrical component be causing this?

TIA

EDIT: I'm starting to wonder if there is some type of internal short in the R/R that is feeding 12V to ground???? Disconnect your R/R to see if the problem goes away.

Before you do anything else, I would be to figure out if you really have 12V on your ground. The only way that could happen is if you have the battery reversed.

I'm not even sure if your bike would run that way (reversed polarity on an ignitor).

Finally when conviced that probably is gone or fixed, test the stator.

Phase B tests are at 5K RPM for leg to leg and leg to ground. You can ignore the ohm meter tests.

Summary of your results so far is that there is simply no charging. So either teh stator is dead flat not generating any AC or the R/R is internally open (stator is disconnected from the battery)
                                Last edited by posplayr; 04-24-2020, 05:13 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X