Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

speedo and tacho needles both broke off ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

speedo and tacho needles both broke off ??

Riding along and I look down at the speedo all is fine , not speeding. Look back a few moments later WTF , speedo needle is gone ??? Thats weird I am thinking . But nevermind cause since the speedo spun round back to zero last ride the speedo has been noisey at times and I was thinking of replacing it .
    But then about 5 minutes later I look down and the Tacho needle has also decided to do a runner on me . Now to me two needles breaking off without being able to touch them is odd .
    So i'm off to glue some tooth picks onto my gauges until I can get some money to get new gauges.
    Just thought I'd share this experience , can't find the damn camera atm , maybe pics of missing needles laters

You should slow down!
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I had that happen...looked down and speedo was broken, but I was okay with it becuase I could still judge my speed from my tach...no sooner than I thought it the tach needle broke.

So I went with a trailtech vapor.

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
        You should slow down!
        If only the gs450 would go fast enough to even get to that side of the clock. mine only goes down hills , put it on any incline and turning the throttle makes it slow down , not go better

Comment

Take the face cover off and put the needles back on. I just Took mine off and replaced the orange needle with the white one. Do a search here and it will show, with pictures, how to do this. It's very easy.
          1979 GS850G
          2004 SV650N track bike
          2005 TT-R125 pit bike
          LRRS #246 / Northeast Cycles / Woodcraft / Armour Bodies / Hindle Exhaust / Central Mass Powersport

http://s327.photobucket.com/albums/k443/tas850g/

Comment

Originally posted by hectic_aussie View Post
            If only the gs450 would go fast enough to even get to that side of the clock. mine only goes down hills , put it on any incline and turning the throttle makes it slow down , not go better
            Who cares about the silly gauges, fix the engine.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
              Who cares about the silly gauges, fix the engine.
              100% performance first , gauges can wait .

Comment

Originally posted by hectic_aussie View Post
                ... the speedo has been noisey at times and I was thinking of replacing it .
                That noise is a high-frequency vibration (which I call "late-stage speedo/tach howl") which warns the gauges already in the afterlife that another is coming to join them soon.

That vibration can easily break off the 30-odd year old needle.

Comment

yeah , she was a bit dry in there . Bit of lube fixed the whining and the speedo is quiet again. Now I wish I had got in sooner before the needles snapped off. but procrastination is my middle name sadly

Comment

Working...
                  X