Do the horns die on an 82 GS1100E?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do the horns die on an 82 GS1100E?

Got power from the battery to the horn leads, but the horns stopped working.

Is there an adjustment that a newbie might not know about before he buys new ones?

Thanks.

I believe there is a screw with a nut on the horn that you can tighten or loosen to change pitch of horn, loosen nut and try adjusting screw,and see if it makes any difference. terrylee

Comment

I've had a number of older bikes, usually the horn just DIES on them. its quite common.

Comment

Mine just got less loud and less loud. I finally installed a relay system and connected my new Fiamm horns to it. I can be heard now.
        If you know which is 12+, I would suggest testing the other wire. It should go to ground when the button is pressed. If not, I would investigate the button itself. It can get rusty and not make a good contact.

Comment

i pulled mine apart the other day and they were full of grease and road grime.... cleaned them up and cleaned the contacts and it works good now.

Comment

Mine just got less loud and less loud. I finally installed a relay system and connected my new Fiamm horns to it. I can be heard now.
            Without a doubt the single most effective safety upgrade you can do. Those stock horns even when brand spankin new are weak as water as our Limey brothers say. My horns have saved my bacon at least twice in the last year keeping cagers from merging into me.

Not really expensive but if cash is an issue try and clean up the stockers. If you can't get them going you can usually pick up some from the local bike wrecker or from Fleabay for a few bucks.

Ride safe,
            Spyug

Comment

Originally posted by jhicok View Post
              i pulled mine apart the other day and they were full of grease and road grime.... cleaned them up and cleaned the contacts and it works good now.
              Hosed mine down with WD everywhere that little straw would fit. Worked great.
              82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Originally posted by bobthebiker88 View Post
                I've had a number of older bikes, usually the horn just DIES on them. its quite common.
                YEP he's right!

I went to my cousins junkyard, snagged some horns off of a yamaha and kawasaki, they were fresh junkers too.
                NONE of the horns worked, when I wired them up!

I'm tellin ya man, bike horns will just die like THAT!

Same thing with Volvo horns too....(they use the same style bell horns as bikes)
                ===========

Just install an airhorn setup man, there's just NO SUBSTITUTE!

They will get you heard loud and clear.
                I wouldn't take any chances with anything else.

I installed Twin metal Ferrari trumpets on my bike, ran the compressor and hose, and a couple wires.

I can't believe I even wasted my time with other horn setups in the past.
                Last edited by Guest; 09-28-2010, 11:07 PM.

Comment

For being HEARD, I concur with airhorns being used. there is NOTHING like a good blast of an air horn. One of the best upgrades one can do besides bright colors and rider improvement to make oneself less invisible.

Harbor freight even offers a cheap dual trumpet airhorn setup that I used once. wasnt PERFECT, but it sure did make a lot more noise.

Only one car's horns would be sufficient stock to me. 90's caddillac fleetwood brougham horns.

Comment

Working...
                  X