Wiring Question - GS1100EX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wiring Question - GS1100EX

I'm currently restoring a 1981 GS1100EX and have a question regarding the wiring diagram. The wiring harness branches off under the fuel tank and has a couple of multipin connectors to the right side and towards the front of the tank. These are the connectors that service the left and right handle bar switch assemblies. Unfortunately, the right side switch connector has been completely mangled and basterdized by the previous owner. I have all the proper vintage multipin connectors to restore this area, but am unclear about one specific thing.

I see that there are two Red/Orange (orange wire with red stripe) fused power supply lines coming up to this area ... I assume each supplies power to the left and right handle bar switch assemblies respectively. The left side connectors are all still in good shape and proper ... so no problem here.

My question concerns the routing for the right side switch assembly. It would appear from the wiring diagram that this second Red/Orange wire should form part of my new right side multipin plug and is connected to supply power to the Gray (running light system) and the Yellow/White (headlight dimmer switch) wires in this area. Is this correct, or am I missing something?

While I'm at it, I will take the opportunity wire all three stator leads directly to the R/R, thus eliminating the Green/White and Red/White wires from this new connector.

Thanks

On my 81 gs 650, the left hand switch wires go to a multiple plug ( 7 wires?) in coil area. The wires from my right hand switch go into headlight bucket. Are you using the readable wiring diagram off Basscliff's site or from a repair manual? It's possible that PO substituted a right switch from another model and had to rework wiring to make it work.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by Tourmaster View Post
      I'm currently restoring a 1981 GS1100EX and have a question regarding the wiring diagram. ... I see that there are two Red/Orange (orange wire with red stripe) fused power supply lines coming up to this area ... I assume each supplies power to the left and right handle bar switch assemblies respectively. The left side connectors are all still in good shape and proper ... so no problem here.

My question concerns the routing for the right side switch assembly. It would appear from the wiring diagram that this second Red/Orange wire should form part of my new right side multipin plug and is connected to supply power to the Gray (running light system) and the Yellow/White (headlight dimmer switch) wires in this area. Is this correct, or am I missing something?
      That's what I see when looking at the diagram.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks guys. I'm certain that I have the OEM handlebar switch assemblies.

Steve ... so that's the way I've wired it, and will do a complete system test once I get the rest of the harness checked over and repaired.

Comment

Working...
        X