So Frustrated...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So Frustrated...

For the last year, I have had an intermittent "sputter" and loss of power on the highway. It would correct itself within 20 seconds, and I moved on. It then started happening at idle and around town. It got worse. All signs pointed to fuel starvation. Petcock was original, so I replaced.

After new petcock was installed, still having the problem. Then suddenly, going up a steep Cincinnati hill, I lost almost all power, and smelled strong gas. Quickly realize that right-hand cylinder is not firing: right hand side exhaust ice cold. I limp home, and start troubleshooting. Swap wires, and it's not the coil. Have a spare ignition pickup -- no change. Must be the Igniter box.

So, it's an 82 GS450LZ 138xx miles. Here's the kicker. Bought a new bike, and I was going to list this on craigslist to sell, but it's down again. I bought the bike since it is costing more than a bike payment every month.

Here is the $25,000 question. Do I risk ebay for a new igniter box, or can I fix it?

I will miss you guys when I sell the bike. My new one (2009 GS500F) is too new for this group I think
    Last edited by Guest; 03-08-2011, 11:19 PM.

Damn, I hate it when my 29 year old bike needs work.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
      Damn, I hate it when my 29 year old bike needs work.
      Check the hoses (supply and vac) on the fuel cock. After that ....clean the carbs. You dont need to own a GS to hang here. Stick around.....

Originally posted by derwood View Post
      try hitting it with your purse
      Now thats funny !!!
      Last edited by bonanzadave; 03-09-2011, 09:45 AM.
      82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Just park it in the back yard for 15 or 20 years. It will be fine.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by Jestercinti View Post
          I will miss you guys when I sell the bike. My new one (2009 GS500F) is too new for this group I think
          Too new? It's your old bike with half the rear suspension, 50cc and more plastic...

-None of which was meant to be bitter sounding. It's the last GS in production.
          Last edited by Guest; 03-09-2011, 12:14 AM.

Comment

GSX1300R NT650 XV535

Comment

Originally posted by derwood View Post
              He may have to get a hankey out of the purse to wipe his eyes.

Comment

Anyone have a TR Igniter model 32900-47020? Otherwise I will roll the dice on ebay. There is a junkyard in town that has old bikes. May try that too.
                Last edited by Guest; 03-09-2011, 08:58 AM.

Comment

Anyone have a TR Igniter model 32900-47020
                  "Parts Wanted" section. The local bone yard sounds like the first stop. Matchless has build one with some GM parts. Pete is building one right now.

Here's the thread http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171781
                  Last edited by Guest; 03-09-2011, 11:06 AM.

Comment

igniter

Originally posted by bluewool View Post
                    "Parts Wanted" section. The local bone yard sounds like the first stop. Matchless has build one with some GM parts. Pete is building one right now.

Here's the thread http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171781
                    Can you make an igniter out of GM parts for a 2 cylinder? Or only a four?
                    [SIGPIC1980 GS1000E
                    Yamaharley Roadstar Silverado.2008sigpic

Comment

Why is it the ignitor box?
                      sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Originally posted by mike10 View Post
                        Can you make an igniter out of GM parts for a 2 cylinder? Or only a four?
                        Pete's 450 is a twin. Matchless' is a twin. I don't know if anyone has done this for a 4.

Comment

It's been a few days, but here's how I am coming up with the Igniter:

When the issue started, I noticed that lh coil sparks, rh does not. Ran lead wires from lh coil leads to rh. It then started sparking. This ruled out spark plug, wire, cap, and coil.

Have a spare signal generator. Replaced, and still had the same issue. Both signal generators test good (before when bike did not have this issue, confirmed both signal generators worked fine 6 months ago).

The whole thing started on the highway at high speeds. Would bog down, and die. Wait a little, and it would "fix" itself. Sometimes revving the engine would "fix" itself. The issue then started at idle and around town until rh cylinder stopped firing completely.

Thought it was fuel starvation for the longest time. No kinks in the fuel line, fuel petcock OEM and brand new.

Going to bone yard this weekend to get a used igniter. Not much time to work on the bike (I have a 2 year old, and am busy at work), so I will try this.

Comment

It's been a few days, but here's how I am coming up with the Igniter:

When the issue started, I noticed that lh coil sparks, rh does not. Ran lead wires from lh coil leads to rh. It then started sparking. This ruled out spark plug, wire, cap, and coil.

Have a spare signal generator. Replaced, and still had the same issue. Both signal generators test good (before when bike did not have this issue, confirmed both signal generators worked fine 6 months ago).

The whole thing started on the highway at high speeds. Would bog down, and die. Wait a little, and it would "fix" itself. Sometimes revving the engine would "fix" itself. The issue then started at idle and around town until rh cylinder stopped firing completely.

Thought it was fuel starvation for the longest time. No kinks in the fuel line, fuel petcock OEM and brand new.

Going to bone yard this weekend to get a used igniter. Not much time to work on the bike (I have a 2 year old, and am busy at work), so I will try this.

Your problem sounds like the same on my bike. Couldn't trace it down to electrical or gas. I was getting spark. I was getting fuel. So it was driving me crazy. I ended up having 2 problems. One was the coils and the other was the fuel. Both problems caused the same symptoms. My right coil was failing after it was warmed up. The fuel problem turned out to be my fuel line. As the bike heated up, the fuel line would kink closed enough to cut fuel off and the bike would lose power and stall. I'd sit a bit and it would start up and go like it was suppose too. Check the fuel line to ensure its not closing up as the bike warms up. I replaced the fuel line with a heavier hose and put a clear filter so I can actually see fuel running into the carbs. Good luck. Mike

Comment

I have the stock hose with the OEM "spring" that wraps around it. Pretty sure it is not the fuel hose. If it is, then I have convinced myself that it is not.

Even cold, the right coil does not spark. If I take leads from the left (small alligator clips) and turn the engine over, viola, it sparks.

Not doubting the users on the forum, but I have had this issue for a while. Shortened the fuel hose, lengthened it a bit, and same thing. I think mainly it is a spark issue.

One other thing, on the Signal Generator, I checked the resistance between the green/white wire and the brown wire. It is 120 or so Ohms. One of the tests (Mr. Matchless version) states 250 or so Ohms. This was checked on and off of the bike, with 2 different Signal Generators. I know they work. Does this seem odd, or am I comparing apples/oranges?

Thanks for the replys.

Am I on the right path?

Comment

Working...
                              X