Clean wiring harness with DeOxit-bullet problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clean wiring harness with DeOxit-bullet problem

Trying to fend off electrical gremlins, I'm treating my entire wiring harness with DeOxit and DeOxit Gold contact cleaner. No problem with the tail light area, or fuse block area, or under-tank area. Behind the headlight, the plastic plugs come out OK, but the single wire bullet connectors are a problem. There are about 10 bullet connectors in there, and I have only been able to get one of them disconnected. Probably because the last time they were touched was at the factory. They are so tight, it feels like I'm going to pull the wire off before the bullet comes apart.

Is there some special technique for pulling apart bullet connectors other than just yanking on the wire? Alternatively, how effective would the contact cleaner be if I just sprayed it on without disconnecting the bullet?

I'm no expert, but you could always shoot some WD40 or some PB Blaster in there to loosen it up. Something that eats the corrosion. If I'm not mistaken you could also soak them in a little bit of oil.

Comment

Originally posted by DPage View Post
      There are about 10 bullet connectors in there, and I have only been able to get one of them disconnected. Probably because the last time they were touched was at the factory. They are so tight, it feels like I'm going to pull the wire off before the bullet comes apart.

Is there some special technique for pulling apart bullet connectors other than just yanking on the wire
      Some small pliers. Grab the bullet back by the crimp. They may be corroded together.

Cut em off and crimp on some knife connectors and use a piece of plastic tubing for insulation.

82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Take 2 pair of pliers and grab each half twist a little they will come right apart
        1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
        80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
        1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
        83 gs750ed- first new purchase
        85 EX500- vintage track weapon
        1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
        “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
        If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

I used Deoxit on my harness but I don't think it did squat. In defense of the stuff, I used the spray which has a lower concentration of the cleaning agent compared to the dab-on variety. Not sure if the strong stuff plays nice with plastic though.
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Thanks guys. I used some really small needle nose pliers that fit up inside the little plastic tube and grabbed the brass crimp so as not to strain the wire.

Nessim, we'll see, this is something Brian Wringer suggested we do about every 3-5 years as regular bike maintenance. I have ridden many times in the rain, but twice my bike has quit in the wet, only to come back fine after it has dried out. Hopefully this will help.

Comment

Originally posted by DPage View Post
              TNessim, we'll see, this is something Brian Wringer suggested we do about every 3-5 years as regular bike maintenance. I have ridden many times in the rain, but twice my bike has quit in the wet, only to come back fine after it has dried out. Hopefully this will help.
              Smear those connections with dielectric grease/gel/silicone compound to help keep them dry, prevent oxidation, and ease disassembly as well.

Comment

Mike, that is a great idea. I use dielectric grease on blade connections to the R/R, makes perfect sense to use it on bullet connections as well.

Comment

Working...
                X