Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1985 GS550ES Igniter dead, advice needed please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When I called the Z1 guys, they have never tried to install a Dyna 2000 on a bike like ours with transistorized units. But for what he explained to me is that the transistorized bikes have a much smaller ignition pick up housing, thus the possibility of having to modify the rotor and pickup plate.

I don't think it would be a hard job to do. I just ended up not having to do it at the moment, as I was able to make my stock CDI work again for me without any problems so far.

I will admit i am quite interested in getting the Dyna 2000. I may do it on the fall semester once I get some more money.... In the meantime my goal is to just finish the bike and have it running.

Originally posted by JEEPRUSTY View Post
    Well I am going to have to stop grasping at straws. I just pushed the damned bike a half a mile in the heat cos I thought hey its running again lets test it.

Well electronics do like to toy with you don't they!

Are you telling me I can fab a plate to accomodate the dyna 2000?
    Hell that can't be too hard and I can co-opt a machinist if need be. Or a blacksmith with a bastard file and malevolent fire pit.

I can whip out my trusty 20 dollar calipers and take measurements of the current timing apparatus.

I may actually cry what with a dead bike and flamingchainsaws stepping out with a hot chick and all.

Comment

Yeah Spyug,

I am hoping you're unit comes in during this coming week and by next weekend I should have some more time to dissect your unit and make a schematic diagram for it and pics of how to fix it.
      I am definitely happy with my unit so far. Has been working good so far.

BTW here are pictures of her so far

Originally posted by spyug View Post
      Jeep, its from an 83 550. I'm hoping Victor can resucitate it as that would be the best case solution I think for most folks. My 750 interchange is likely the next cheapest fix but it too requires some fabricating. Mind you if you're half ways handy, its not a big job even with hand tools. Access to machine tools would be the kat's azz but might even be overkill.

Let's keep our collective finger's crossed for Victor.

Cheers,
      Spyug
      Last edited by Guest; 07-16-2011, 03:45 PM.

Comment

GS 550 83-86 signal gnerator measuring

I am at a loss. I made some measurements today.
        I am no machinist so these may be a bit rough. I did my best with a digital caliper.

Also some of the parts such as the base are die-cut not machined. There is also a bit of corrosion on the parts which is not helping.

Dimensions from cover minimum clearance
        from base plate to extent of rotor
        28 mm
        base plate thicknes is 2.36-2.39 mm
        baseplate is 80.0 mm in diameter
        centre hole that rotor passes through is 27.4

Rotor
        41.14 rotor to extent of tab.
        26.6 in dia. The pick up coil plastic bodies almost rub against this the distance is very small and is slighty varied at least when eyeballed.
        steps down to 24 mm dia. where it seats
        slot in bottom that crank locator pin sit in is 4.03 mm
        6.35 6.42 is the depth of the stepped part that seats into the crank.
        center hole that bolt goes through is 8.4
        18.05 mm of bolt passes beyond base of rotor and theads into the crank.
        bolt is 6mm hex53.26 in length 7.92 mm shank
        rotor is not magnetic
        magnets are under coils on baseplate.

mounting bolt holes for baseplate are 75.27 outside 64.7 inside
        the holes for the mounting bolts are are 5.20 mm in diameter I am not really sure how to measure this at all but there are only two holes ( that I can see ) for attaching a base plate.
        fiche at Alpha Sports has part numbers for some of the bits.
        09125-05024 are the base screws.
        08322-01057 is the washer for above screw.
        07130-0845B is the hex bolt that secures the rotor.

So if my efforts at measuring can be somehow understood and compared against the dyna 2000 we can see how hard a retrofit would be.

I wish I could plug these into a primitive cad program.

Comment

Hey,

thanks for taking those measurements. The only thing is that I have yet to see any Dyna 2000 documentation that has actual dimensions on the pickup components. Also their rotor is magnetic and the points are not. So its backwards from the factory setup.

Also, in terms of CAD program, check this list out.

But if all you need is a simple 2d Drawing, Power point or paint can do the job. Sure it will be annoying to do it, but not impossible

have you found any dimensional details that the dyna 2000 uses? I havent been able to, thats why i ask.

I am at a loss. I made some measurements today.
          I am no machinist so these may be a bit rough. I did my best with a digital caliper.

Also some of the parts such as the base are die-cut not machined. There is also a bit of corrosion on the parts which is not helping.

Dimensions from cover minimum clearance
          from base plate to extent of rotor
          28 mm
          base plate thicknes is 2.36-2.39 mm
          baseplate is 80.0 mm in diameter
          centre hole that rotor passes through is 27.4

Rotor
          41.14 rotor to extent of tab.
          26.6 in dia. The pick up coil plastic bodies almost rub against this the distance is very small and is slighty varied at least when eyeballed.
          steps down to 24 mm dia. where it seats
          slot in bottom that crank locator pin sit in is 4.03 mm
          6.35 6.42 is the depth of the stepped part that seats into the crank.
          center hole that bolt goes through is 8.4
          18.05 mm of bolt passes beyond base of rotor and theads into the crank.
          bolt is 6mm hex53.26 in length 7.92 mm shank
          rotor is not magnetic
          magnets are under coils on baseplate.

mounting bolt holes for baseplate are 75.27 outside 64.7 inside
          the holes for the mounting bolts are are 5.20 mm in diameter I am not really sure how to measure this at all but there are only two holes ( that I can see ) for attaching a base plate.
          fiche at Alpha Sports has part numbers for some of the bits.
          09125-05024 are the base screws.
          08322-01057 is the washer for above screw.
          07130-0845B is the hex bolt that secures the rotor.

So if my efforts at measuring can be somehow understood and compared against the dyna 2000 we can see how hard a retrofit would be.

I wish I could plug these into a primitive cad program.

Comment

I will try to search out other sites to get the dimensions.
            Most things I see merely are threads about specific bikes and if they fit them or not.

No one seems to measure except the guy that makes the first successful application. Then this information is never divulged. It is as if they use a rat tail file and spite to do the job.

Anyway Someone must have written it down.
            I contacted Dynatek and typical of a large concern they have not ( and likely will not ) reply.

I PMd Jeff Saunders at Z1 and he had some useful information. He even related a story of someone rigging up a modified Dyna S for a 2-strok triple. So this can likely be done. Nice response the guy obviously cares and wants to help. that was refreshing.

Jeff said the mounting plate was large on the Dyna 2000 trigger plate.

I will look and we shall slay this wretched dragon. And the heavens will part and so on and so forth.

One thing you see is references to intolerance for voltage spikes.
            I wonder if one of the gurus here could explain how to rig a simple and one time use device that could intercept a spike.
            Something like thos computer power bars are supposed to do. This would be nasty in a normal driving situation esp in a curve. But it would be nice to be able to test a new ignition with a layer of protection.
            Last edited by Guest; 07-18-2011, 05:51 PM.

Comment

In a letter from Dynatek:

"Thank you for your interest in Dynatek ignitions. Unfortunately, we do not
              offer an ignition system for this model at this time. As I understand the 83'
              engine it uses the newer style engine that has a 2 bolt mounting configuration
              for the pickup plate. Both the Dyna S & Dyna 2000 use a 3 bolt arrangement
              like the 1100 engine uses. I believe there are dimensional differences in the
              rotor mounting as well. If we can be of any further assistance, please feel
              free to contact us anytime."

Telling people what they already know is a bit annoying especially in light of my query stating everything that was in the canned response.

I am calling them on Christmas day I swear!

Comment

Yeah I hate those formatted responses some companies do.
                Now more and more I want to make this system work with our bikes. I wish I had the money at the moment to just order a kit.
                Their excuse that the pickup plate has three slots and our uses two is the most lame excuse ever. I mean its a simple plate. If all that is necessary is to just design a different style of mounting plate, then hell I can easily desing and cut it using the waterjet machine, so it will be a simple bolt on. May have to modify the rotor.

But I am with you, I think this can be done!

In a letter from Dynatek:

"Thank you for your interest in Dynatek ignitions. Unfortunately, we do not
                offer an ignition system for this model at this time. As I understand the 83'
                engine it uses the newer style engine that has a 2 bolt mounting configuration
                for the pickup plate. Both the Dyna S & Dyna 2000 use a 3 bolt arrangement
                like the 1100 engine uses. I believe there are dimensional differences in the
                rotor mounting as well. If we can be of any further assistance, please feel
                free to contact us anytime."

Telling people what they already know is a bit annoying especially in light of my query stating everything that was in the canned response.

I am calling them on Christmas day I swear!

Comment

Hey victor how is the rebuilding process of that ignitor going? I was going to try to rebuild mine after seeing this but im thuroughly confused on wtf to do or even start with lol.

Comment

Since this old thread popped up....

You may want to look at this web page
                    http://home.comcast.net/~loudgpz/GPZweb/Ignition/GPZgmHEImod.html

I found those modules for as little as $15 each. The circuit should work if you have inductive pickups (or points, according to a web page one up from the one I linked).

Comment

Working...
                    X