How Do I Remove the Ignition Switch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How Do I Remove the Ignition Switch?

I've tried searching and I come up with threads for members that have already removed it and have a different question.

The wires leading into the ignition switch on my bike are fried and I need to remove the switch to get at them. Do I just pry up that little plastic crown on top? It seems like it would break.

There are two allen head screws, look under the ignition, they are upside down underneath.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
      There are two allen head screws, look under the ignition, they are upside down underneath.

They are upside down overneath tsk tsk tsk.

Comment

Wrong side down and upside backwards toward the opposite side of the top. That's where they are.

Comment

I just removed the entire gauge cluster and I don't see any screws for the ignition switch.

Do I need to pry this plastic cap up?

I gave it a slight "nudge" with a flat head screw driver and it's not responding well...

Comment

Originally posted by MadCapsule View Post
            I just removed the entire gauge cluster and I don't see any screws for the ignition switch.

Do I need to pry this plastic cap up?

I gave it a slight "nudge" with a flat head screw driver and it's not responding well...
            That plastic nut unthreads
            1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
            80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
            1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
            83 gs750ed- first new purchase
            85 EX500- vintage track weapon
            1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
            “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
            If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Originally posted by hjfisk View Post
              That plastic nut unthreads
              I'm sure that'll be fun after 33 years of never being messed with.

I may have to invent some new curse words just for this task.

Comment

Originally posted by MadCapsule View Post
                I'm sure that'll be fun after 33 years of never being messed with.

I may have to invent some new curse words just for this task.
                Actually it shouldn't be all that hard. If you do break it and need another switch PM me I have a couple of them
                1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
                80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
                1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
                83 gs750ed- first new purchase
                85 EX500- vintage track weapon
                1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
                “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
                If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Originally posted by hjfisk View Post
                  Actually it shouldn't be all that hard. If you do break it and need another switch PM me I have a couple of them
                  I'm out of daylight, so I'll give it a go tomorrow after work.

Thanks for the tip!

Comment

So, unless there's a special tool I'm unaware of, that plastic cap isn't going to unscrew without me destroying it. I've drenched it in PB Blaster multiple times and I won't so much as budge. I've wrapped a rubber band around it and then went at it with a pair of pliers. Nothing.

Any suggestions?

Comment

Break it off, maybe someone has glued it, as those plastic nuts tend to vibrate loose or even strip the threads easily.
                      Your call!

Comment

Are the other threads on the metal body of the ignition switch itself?

Comment

Hmm, I don't know your bike but maybe try unscrewing the ignition from the bottom?

Comment

Originally posted by ikantbreave View Post
                            Hmm, I don't know your bike but maybe try unscrewing the ignition from the bottom?
                            I gave that a try the other day. That sucker's not coming out of there with anything less than a hacksaw.

Yesterday I bought a soldering iron, stripped the old wires up to a point that they looked decent, and soldered in some undamaged wiring from my old harness. Then I covered the soldered sections in liquid tape, let it dry and covered that in electrical tape. It's not pretty, but (I think) it should work.

Now, hopefully all I have to do, is get the rest of the new wiring harness connected properly.

Here's hoping it works.

I'll make sure to stand in a puddle of water when I try to start it up. You can never play it too safe when it comes to electricity!

Comment

Working...
                            X