Bad solenoid out of the bag?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bad solenoid out of the bag?

I purchased a new starter solenoid since the stock one didn't do anything. I tested my starter button to ensure that I had voltage at the connection point of the solenoid into the wiring harness. I hooked it all in, pressed the button and... nothing.

I'm always skeptical to think something could be bad out of the bag, but even when I take the yellow/green wire and apply 12v directly to it, the solenoid doesn't even click.

My connections are as follows: + lead from battery and lead from main fuse to one high tension post on the solenoid. Lead from starter motor to other high tension post on the solenoid. Yellow/Green wire from the solenoid into the yellow/green wire on the harness that produces 12v upon engaging starter button.

Any thoughts? I'd hate to buy another solenoid (too impatient to wait for an exchange) only to have it be something on the bike. I always understood the solenoid operation as needing to "click" (engage) when 12v are applied to the low tension input wire though.

Where's your ground?

Run a ground wire from a solenoid mounting screw to the negative post of the battery

Does your yellow/green wire deliver 12V?

If voltage there is low, the starter button is corroded. Carefully take it apart and clean it, reassemble
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
      Where's your ground?

Run a ground wire from a solenoid mounting screw to the negative post of the battery

Does your yellow/green wire deliver 12V?

If voltage there is low, the starter button is corroded. Carefully take it apart and clean it, reassemble
      Intredasting. There wasn't a ground there before. I'll try that and report back.

Voltage was 11.7x, I'll get out the contact cleaner as well.

Comment

Huzzah. Thanks. I have a working starter now.

Comment

Ground wire, switch or both?
          1978 GS 1000 (since new)
          1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
          1978 GS 1000 (parts)
          1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
          1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
          1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
          2007 DRz 400S
          1999 ATK 490ES
          1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Working...
          X