Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi,

Originally posted by Pendulum View Post
    I figured this thread was extremely relevent to my issue, and asking for a picture doesn't seem like a hijack to me. Why start a 2nd thread for a similar problem when all I needed was a picture?

Regardless, thanks.
    To be fair, perhaps it is a similar issue. However, having more than one person seeking advice on similar, but different, problems in a single thread can get confusing. The original poster will not know if the answer is for his problem or for the hijacker, and vice versa. A single symptom can have many different causes and one solution or procedure will not work for another issue. Do you see how that can lead to misunderstandings?

Did you download the manual? It will tell you where your igniter is located, plus a lot of other handy stuff, like whether or not you have an igniter.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
    Last edited by Guest; 09-28-2011, 07:04 PM.

Comment

No offense - your issue deserves its own individual attention is all I was saying.

Since your bike should be points ignition, you're going to have a very different troubleshooting tree.

Originally posted by Pendulum View Post
      I figured this thread was extremely relevent to my issue, and asking for a picture doesn't seem like a hijack to me. Why start a 2nd thread for a similar problem when all I needed was a picture?

Regardless, thanks.

Comment

Hi,

Originally posted by mike_of_bbg View Post
        No offense - your issue deserves its own individual attention is all I was saying.
        Exactly! Don't be shy. Start your own thread. It's perfectly OK. These electrons don't cost much.

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
          Hi,

Exactly! Don't be shy. Start your own thread. It's perfectly OK. These electrons don't cost much.

BassCliff
          Yeah, it's the emotes that get expensive. Heh

Comment

Looked at post number 7 on that thread. Not so sure I understand it lol. I found a parts bike via Craigslist for 175 so I think I'm going to get it and hope the ignitor is good lol.

Comment

David510, double check :all sparkwire leads/caps for misplacement/cross ups..ex.#1 cap on #2 etc. also crossed up ignition coil lead wires ,can be accidentely put on improperly(wrong place(s) while in the throes of trouble shooting also corrosion,looseness/seperations,burnt or weak dark spots,pinched evidence on all wires/connections as itens get yanked and such and wasn't apparent.Some of above mentioned will cause erratic out of synch. running and eventual engine stoppages. take extralooks...
              Last edited by Guest; 09-29-2011, 09:30 AM. Reason: spell before coffee

Comment

I had to replace me coils recently. The spark issue was intermittent on one coil.
                Made for much consternation.

My latest adventures seem very much related to fuel delivery. The classic failing petcock issue.

I was driving the **** out of my bike last friday and it died as though running out of gas.

Plenty of fuel in tank. And some bonehead had left it on reserve so it was not getting gas.

I blame the petcock or the vacuum line that actuates it.

Swapping coils left to right helps pinpoint a problem with them. if they are getting hot and one is failing to produce spark and the other is fine then you found a likely culprit.

Comment

can anyone maybe give me some advice on how to sodder on new tansistors for my ignitor?

Lol im trying to fix it...

Comment

Hi,

I've seen a few members who have melted the epoxy off of the igniter circuit board and replaced the defective components fairly easily and cheaply. Have a look at this thread...

'81 GS550T ignition replica for a few euro !

BassCliff

Comment

Well i attempted to solder new transistors in... That failed.. went from spark to no spark so i ****ed that up.. Guess i have to buy a new one.

Comment

Working...
                      X