Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

plug/start issues

Hey guys.

I searched for "wet plugs" and other related and only found 2 threads that didnt help so sorry as Im sure this is a repeat ?

I am a noob so take it easy please.

Bike has new plugs (about 20 miles on them) and new plug caps (both ngk).
    Bike ran fine from the ride home, then I didnt start it for a week and went to start it and it cranked and barely idled (about 1k). It was only running on #4, cause only that pipe was hot.

I pulled the plugs and they were wet... I assume the cylinders have fuel in them and its not leaving because its not getting spark? I cleaned the plugs and ran a fine piece of sand paper through them quick and put them back in. I fired it up and the same thing... barely idleing although I did get a little hiccup like it wanted to go.

So what do I do? Pull the plugs and let them dry out while letting the fuel evaporate out of the cylinders?

The petcock is new so its not leaking fuel..

Thanks in advance for any help.

Steve

Hi,

Test for spark on all four cylinders. We'll go from there.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Im not sure exactly how to go about doing that (told you im a rookie) do I pull the plug, put the cap back on and hold it by the hole while attempting to start it? That doesnt sound right... wont that just fill the cylinders with fuel?

Sorry for the bad ?

Comment

Originally posted by skubasteve! View Post
        Im not sure exactly how to go about doing that (told you im a rookie) do I pull the plug, put the cap back on and hold it by the hole while attempting to start it? That doesnt sound right... wont that just fill the cylinders with fuel?

Sorry for the bad ?
        Yes, pull plug, put plug wire back on and hold threaded portion of plug against engine- with ignition and kill switch on, crank it over- any spark??? or visit Basscliff's for more.
        You said you have new petcock- 3 position? on, res, pr ? make sure you leave it in "on" or "res" spot . Seems strange that it ran home ok, but a week later, plugs are all wet.
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Alright, so tested plugs and only one was sparking (the one that was on the cylinder that was running) I sanded and cleaned them and would get spark until I tried to start it with them all in and they just got wet again...

So I had 4 new plugs laying around and threw them in and thumped the starter and it started with a HUGE ROAR and made my 2 year old (my trusty little sidekick) jump out of his boots and scream WOAH! Soo I took it around the block for about 2 miles and it ran like a champ.

So now that it runs like it did, but how to I prevent this from happening again? The plugs that were in there only had like 25 miles or so on them. What am I doing wrong with the bike running so well (at least what I think is running well).

Thanks again guys.

Just a few pics of my helpers and the zook.

Last edited by Guest; 09-27-2011, 06:18 PM.

Comment

Might have just been bad plugs. Did you check the gaps on them?

Otherwise, ride it with the good plugs. Problem solved.

Comment

It's hard to get fouled plugs clean and working properly if something else on the bike is marginal. See how you go with the new plugs, but I reckon you'll encounter this problem again if you let the bike sit more than a week or so.

Could be low voltage at the coils or marginal battery/charge not getting a strong enough spark for that initial first fire. When I had this issue for a while I'd kickstart the bike as it allowed more power to go to the plugs and not be used up by the starter. Or it could be a couple of other things too.

Anyway see how you go...

Bike looks in great shape by the way.
              1979 GS750E

Comment

Hi,

Which plug(s) is(are) foued? Fouled plugs can be caused by a leaking petcock, leaking needle valves/seats, too rich of a fuel/air mixture, intermittent plug wires or plug caps, over-oiled air filter or other restrictions in air intake, etc.

To test for spark, the easiest thing to do is lay the spark plug on the head (to ground it) and crank the engine. Don't hold it.

You've got a couple of handsome young lads.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
                Last edited by Guest; 09-28-2011, 01:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by skubasteve! View Post

You say you are having strange things happen with the ignition?

har har

just joking.

Dave

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                  GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Thanks again for all the help guys, I couldn't have done it without you all. I rode it for about ten miles tonight and it ran well. Now I just need to figure out why shes so fussy when leaving from a stop.
                    I have already started a thread awhile back on this issue just need to do some more riding and diagnosing before I ask for more of your time.

Love this site, you are all great.

Steve

Comment

I love threads like this.

Hey Steve. I dont see any mention of the carbs being cleaned.
                      Also, ya dont mention much of the bikes history. Factory airbox? If so is it in stock condition? Exhaust type?
                      Sounds to me like it needs the basic maintenence that most of need after sitting.

Enjoy that help now. Time passes quickly.
                      sigpic

82 GS850
                      78 GS1000
                      04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
                      .................________-|___\____
                      ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Octain,
                        I went through and did almost all the recommended stuff on basscliffs site.
                        New petcock
                        Clean tank
                        New airbox boots and intake boots and orings
                        New air filter and sealed box with weatherstripping
                        Stock exhaust
                        Carbs cleaned by chef and synced once they were on the bike
                        New plug caps
                        Ummm I think thats it... I think the only thing I have left is to adjust the valves.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                        X