No announcement yet.

D.I.Y Rectifier - Regulator.....with less than 10 euro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, within reason the wires can be extended as far as needed.

Originally posted by Hacked850 View Post
    Since I'm running a sidecar on my 850 I have alot of room.Can I mount the RR anywhere??,if I buy a bigger than stock one can I just make all the wires longer and mount the RR maybe between the sidecar and the bike ( out in the wind to keep it cooler??).

Comment

How hard would it be to just use 3 Fet's between the stator and rectifier and regulate load in a series fashion.
      And on the output of the rectifier have a shunt circuit if the voltage goes above 14v but instead of shunting, reroute the signal to control the Fet's to reduce the output.

The only hard part would be regulating the Fet for a proper voltage.

Its been a while since I've dove into electronics but I hope the idea is sound.
      Stephen.
      1981 GSX540L "Frankintwin"
      1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
      Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
      GS twin wiki

Comment

Synchronous rectification is required for series regulation.

Comment

Has anyone checked out this place for rectifiers/regulators, made in USA, seems to know his stuff. If they are as good as he says they are not a bad price,

I am currently waiting on a stator and R/R from the US to put into my GS1100G, regards Neil

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Cav View Post
            Has anyone checked out this place for rectifiers/regulators, made in USA, seems to know his stuff. If they are as good as he says they are not a bad price,

I am currently waiting on a stator and R/R from the US to put into my GS1100G, regards Neil
            Why spend $95 for those when the SH-775 costs less? I don't understand the logic?

Comment

Yes, I know of them... He used to advertise his RR as a Series unit.

I bought one to test & Posplayr put a scope on it to see if it really was a series unit & it wasn't. In fact it was a very simple Shunt unit that only regulated on 1 leg from memory. Not very sophisticated at all & not worth what he is charging for them.

You would be far better off with a used Shindengen unit.

I'm not sure I believe the "made in the USA" comment either. I think he buys them in & re-packages. He might buy them from someone here in the USA but I suspect they were made overseas.
              Last edited by salty_monk; 07-01-2013, 10:26 PM.
              1980 GS1000G - Sold
              1978 GS1000E - Finished!
              1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
              1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
              2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
              1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
              2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

They are in business and advertise; they really don't understand the difference between a Series R/R and a Shunt v.s. FET.

Comment

I should add that the shipment was prompt, no problem there & he seems to have removed his "Series" statement from his website about the RR so not intentionally miss-selling.

Note there was "no returns" available to me....
                  1980 GS1000G - Sold
                  1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                  1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                  1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                  2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                  1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                  2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
                    I should add that the shipment was prompt, no problem there & he seems to have removed his "Series" statement from his website about the RR so not intentionally miss-selling.

Note there was "no returns" available to me....
                    Personally I can not abide by selling SHUNT and SERIES R/R's right side by side. Either he knows the difference and sells them anyway just to make more money or he doesn't know the difference . I don't like it any way it comes out.

The only exception would have been the old Honda 6 wire R/R's and SERIES because those Honda's for some reason avoided many of the same issues of the other SHUNT R/R's.

Comment

Working...
                    X