Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Headlight and signal problem

Hi,
    I`m a new member i have a GS650GT .The problem is when i turn on the headlight the front signal lights come on and stay on .They do flash if i use the indicators but are on all the time .
    Please could someone help with suggestions on how to fix this and whats causing it as i cant take my bike on the road until i fix the problem

Originally posted by weaslecatcher View Post
    Hi,
    I`m a new member i have a GS650GT .The problem is when i turn on the headlight the front signal lights come on and stay on .They do flash if i use the indicators but are on all the time .
    Please could someone help with suggestions on how to fix this and whats causing it as i cant take my bike on the road until i fix the problem
    Probably you have got some water / corrosion in the connectors sitting in behind the headlight or somebody has plugged the headlight / indicators back in incorrectly. I would take the front of the light off and have look at the wiring in there.
    79 GS1000S
    79 GS1000S (another one)
    80 GSX750
    80 GS550
    80 CB650 cafe racer
    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. weaselcatcher,

Do both front signal lights come on and stay on when you turn on the headlight? Do they flash properly when you use the blinkers? If so, we call these running lights. They make your bike more visible, which is a good thing. This configuration would mean that you have dual-filament bulbs in the front blinkers. The "running" lights (the lower power filament-8 watts stock) usually connect to a brown wire in the headlight bucket. It's an extra wire that is there for this purpose. The "blinker" lights use the high power filament (usually 23 watts stock). While the 650cc bikes did not come from the factory like this, it is a pretty easy upgrade that many here have performed. I'm thinking of doing it myself.

If you want to disable the running lights, just disconnect the brown wire in the headlight bucket.

Anyway, let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed. I will put you on my prayer list.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by weaslecatcher View Post
        Hi,
        WC,

Hum, THis sounds more like an inhancement and less like a problem. I wonder if someone added some module to purposly do that.

You have a post 1980 GS that you can turn on the headlight? I thought all lost the headlight switch in 1980. (but then again, the 650s have some differences than others).

Maybe I am not understanding your statement of "do flash if use indicatiors but are on all the time".
        But how is this keeping you from getting it on the road?

But, My expereince has been that stange unexplainable things happening in electical system like, this goes out when that comes on, is usally related to a bad ground connection on one or the other of the two of them.

Welcome to GSR.
        Maybe add your loction to your profile (goto UserCP).

Dave
        Last edited by Redman; 09-27-2011, 09:23 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Running lights maybe?
          My '82 GS1100E does that, but I think they're suppose to, like running lights, however my '79 GS1000E doesn't.
          sigpic
          Steve
          "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

Hi,

Mr. Redman has a good point. There are aftermarket modules available that can take the existing lighting (single filament) and make it function as both running lights and blinkers. Does the previous owner have any information? Check your front blinker bulbs, see if they are single or dual filament.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
            X