GS 850G Headlight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS 850G Headlight

Two days ago I noticed that my headlight wasn't on and my turn signals weren't working. I haven't had time to troubleshoot but I did take a look at the schematic. They seem to be on two separate fuses. I have recently replaced the left handlebar control that operates the turn signals and has the headlight dimmer incorporated in it. It was an unplug the old one and plug in the new one kind of setup and I can't imagine that it would be the problem but both those circuits reside there.....hmmmm

If you did, it's possible the wiring was different in the new one. I'd take a test light and see if you are getting power through the entire circuit.
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

I changed a left switch housing on my '80 850 just before our 555 ride last month. I think the new switch was from an '83 (I have changed the "choke" on my bike, so needed the newer housing). I did have to change some of the wiring, but I don't remember exactly which wires I changed.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        I changed a left switch housing on my '80 850 just before our 555 ride last month. I think the new switch was from an '83 (I have changed the "choke" on my bike, so needed the newer housing). I did have to change some of the wiring, but I don't remember exactly which wires I changed.

It worked fine for a few months up until recently.....

Comment

Sorry if the question seems obvious but, did the headlight and turn signals work after you did the switch pod swap?

You might be surprised as to how many times I have seen people do modifications and then not check to see if things worked afterwards...

Regarding the headlight: my 1970 GS850G has a headlight on/off switch above and to the right of the high/low switch. Any chance this one is off now? These old switches are getting to be pretty "long in the tooth" and require frequent servicing as compared with newer stuff because of both age and less weather tight design. It is quite often the case that these types of switches simply develop poor connection within the sliding block contacts, especially after the switches have been out of service for a time and then used.

HIH

Norm

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post

The switch was brand new in a package. It worked great for a couple of months. If I leave the bike sit a while, I can put the key in and the turn signals will work for a minute or two ( unless it's running) and quit, Still no headlight.....................It's like gremlins

Comment

Hi,

I suggest poking around in your headlight bucket to see if anything has come loose or burned. The only time my headlight went out was due to a bad connection on the bulb socket itself. A dirty connection had caused too much resistance and melted the connector. I have found on my bike that the blinkers will get intermittent or non-functional if the battery voltage is low, perhaps due to a sub-par charging system.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Perhaps one of your earth connections in that area is loose/dirty. Might be time to clean all your connections. This will take care of all high-resistance connections and make your whole electrical system healthier.
                1981 GS850G "Blue Magic" (Bike Of The Month April 2009)

1981 GS1000G "Leo" (Bike Of The Month August 2023)

Comment

Do you have a voltmeter?

If so, switch on, high beam and check for a voltage between the left hand ( bike's left) headlight terminal and a good ground such as an engine bolt.

Also check between the right terminal and ground.

Check between both sides of the main fuse and ground. Let us know the results.

Assuming that you have taken sandpaper to both battery posts and cable ends? Shiny black is not good. Shiny silver or brass is good.

If you do not have a voltmeter advise and we can take an alternate route. These old wiring harnesses are showing their age but as they are very simple wiring systems, not bad to deal with. Try an ST1100 ABS/TCS wiring diagram if you need a headache.

Norm

Comment

Working...
                  X