Fusebox Upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fusebox Upgrade

Before I get chastised here, I read the Fusebox Upgrade on BassCliffs site.

I know that the issue here is me but I still dont get it. Does anyone have some additional pictures or step by step instructions?

I was starting to follow the tutorial but then it was jumping between the type of fuseboxes and then the one picture that I really thought "Wow this is what I need" had a memo next to it that said "this is what not to do".

I have attached a picture of the fusebox I purchased at advanced auto.

The last thing I want to do is mess this up.

That fuse panel has a common bus that will provide the same power to each of six fuses.

The stock fuse panel has two fuses on constant power and three on switched power.

One way to use your new panel would be to install a relay between the main power lug and the battery. (I would use the battery terminal of the starter solenoid rather than the actual battery, but that's just me.) Use the orange wire that feeds your original fuse panel to trigger the relay. You will have to re-route the red wire that goes from the main fuse to the ignition switch. It needs to have constant power (get that from the solenoid, too) to send to the ignition key, which will activate the relay and turn on the rest of the bike.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Sounds like I should just get a proper fuse block then, agree?

Comment

That one will work.

Or go to my projects thread (81 550T in Co Sprgs) and read up on the box I used. I can send some other pictures plus the wiring diagram that Steve built for me if you'd like.
        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

well let me start simple here... I have main, lamps, signals, ignition. and the individual fuse above.

Guess:
          constant: Individual and Main?

switched: Lamps, Signals, Ignition?

Can I do the 3 on this block and just mount single spade fuses on the other 2?

Comment

Which other two? Do you mean the other two fuse blocks that are on your bike already?

It is possible I would say but you don't have a lot of real estate to work with. If yours is set up like mine (fuse block mounted to air box), the fuse block and wiring coming off of it will take up a lot of space. I recommend going with a single box (did you read through all of my thread?) with three fuse areas joined together or maybe with something like the fuse block from Eastern Beaver.

1981 GS550T - My First

Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die

Comment

I guess I am confused. The previous post by Steve stated I purchased a 1 bus Fuse block and that I need 2.

My thought was let the two constant power be individual and throw the 3 switch on fuses into this block.

I read the Colorado Springs thread start to finish. I am just brand new to electrical on a motorcycle and am lost with this fuse box.

Comment

Could I let the individual fuse above my fuse box stay.. place the 3 fuses that are switch on type in the fuse block and put an inline fuse on the 2nd constant power?

Comment

It could work yes but know that individual fuse that's already on your bike is an accessory one. You'll have to rewire where you put your main wire that feeds the ignition switch someplace.

In my opinion, using one block will make it easier to troubleshoot for both you and future owners.

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

Originally posted by JStones View Post
                    I guess I am confused. The previous post by Steve stated I purchased a 1 bus Fuse block and that I need 2.
                    That is ... well ... sort of correct.

There are two groups of circuits already on your current (stock) fuse panel. Very few people actually use the AUX fuse, and it would really be better if it is switched, so do the simple re-wiring I suggested above.

But, just in case it was a bit confusing, here is a step-by-step:
                    1. Disconnect lead at battery
                    2. Remove current fuse panel.
                    3. Install new fuse panel.
                    4. Locate RED wire that feeds fuse panel from battery or starter solenoid.
                    5. Cut red wire at fuse panel.
                    6. Locate RED wire that goes from fuse panel to ignition switch.
                    7. Cut red wire at fuse panel.
                    8. Install in-line fuse (5 amp) between the two red wires.
                    9. Locate ORANGE wire that comes back from the ignition switch to the fuse panel.
                    10. Connect orange wire to terminal #86 of a relay.
                    11. Connect a ground wire to terminal #85 of the relay.
                    12. Connect wire (minimum 12-gauge) from battery (or solenoid) to relay terminal #30, using a 15 amp fuse.
                    13. Connect wire (again 12-gauge) from relay terminal #87 to the input of your new fuse panel.
                    14. Connect the three remaining orange wires (with different colored stripes) to three of the fuse positions in the new panel.
                    15. Connect anything else you want to the other three positions (or just use them to hold spare fuses).
                    16. Reconnect battery lead.
                    17. Go for a ride.

Cowboyup mentioned another fuse panel. If you can afford it ($80), click HERE to see it.
                    It shows as only $60, but it's another $20 (or more) for the relay and harness.
                    If you want to do your own relay and harness, you can save that, then spend almost that much to do it yourself.

sigpic
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Perfect. Ill get it done and post pictures to close out the thread. Thank you kind sir.

Comment

This one is also well thought of http://www.fuzeblocks.com/
                        1980 GS1000G - Sold
                        1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                        1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                        1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                        2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                        1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                        2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
                          This one is also well thought of http://www.fuzeblocks.com/
                          That one has the advantage of having the relay built in and the option whether each individual circuit is "always live" or switched, but has only 6 fuses.

Yeah, that's more than we have now, but some of us run more than stripped-down bikes.

Sorry, I like my FARKLES.

Don't know what a FARKLE is?

F ancy
                          A ccessory,
                          R eally
                          K ool, (or is that K ewl ?)
                          L ikely
                          E xpensive.

sigpic
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride

Comment

what other things do you guys like to add to these fuse boxes? 12 Volt outlet?

Comment

I have a KLR... with plenty of Farkles thanks
                              1980 GS1000G - Sold
                              1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                              1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                              1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                              2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                              1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                              2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Working...
                              X