Front brake handle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front brake handle

I was just wondering if there is anyway to quicken the response of the brake light when i use the front brake on my 80' GS 1000. I have to squeeze the handle past half way to turn on the brake light but by that time the brakes are on pretty hard.

Thanks.
    Current: 80 GS 1000G (Sadie)

Yes, loosen (but don't remove) the two screws that hold the bottom of the switch. Slide the assembly toward the end of the handlebar (it only moves about 1/8" from end to end), tighten it back down.

Be careful that you don't go TOO far.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks ill give it a try.

Comment

Loosen the two tiny screws, slide the switch unit one way or the other until it comes on when you want it to. The screw holes are slightly slotted to allow for this adjustment.
        It's also a good idea to take the entire switch mechanism apart to clean it out every twenty years or so, but it's really easy to lose tiny parts if you try this. Microscopic springs and such. Some folks like to work inside a big zip lock bag because of this.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Not sure the last time it was cleaned out so i'll do that when i get back in town.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
            Loosen the two tiny screws, slide the switch unit one way or the other until it comes on when you want it to. The screw holes are slightly slotted to allow for this adjustment.
            It's also a good idea to take the entire switch mechanism apart to clean it out every twenty years or so, but it's really easy to lose tiny parts if you try this. Microscopic springs and such. Some folks like to work inside a big zip lock bag because of this.
            You're absolutely right about that little spring, I almost lost it twice, spent hours looking for it but found it eventually, somehow it ended up on top of my engine casing.
            sigpic
            Steve
            "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

Just in case you lose any parts, "Kid", I have replacements when we get home.

(Yeah, that's my kid. )

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                A little trick I use is to loosen the clamp bolts on the switch assembly so that I can rotate it 180 deg. That way, when I take that little switch and tiny parts apart, it is right side up to me and nothing falls out. heheh

Earl
                All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

I had the same issue on my 1100ES recently. While I did finagle around with the mechanism my final solution (based on recommendation from TheCafeKid) was to go with a pressure switch instead. It works great. I bought mine from Z1 Enterprises but they are available elsewhere.

You can find the post here: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=180697

Comment

Working...
                  X