Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

speedometer electrical install...help a noob!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

speedometer electrical install...help a noob!

Well I'm all excited to start learning to be a cafe mechanic extraordinaire, but I simply don't know the first thing about any of this so forgive the silly question...but where the hell do I attach these cables to make my awesome new speedometer light up??

Thanks, Ed

Not sure what bike you have, but the red wire should be connected to a +12V that is powered with the lights on and the black to ground.

On the GS the black/white wires are ground and the Grey wires power the speedo lights and has +12V on them when lights are on.
    Hope this helps

Comment

This bike is a '78 GS750. I think I may have started something I wasn't prepared for...I was hoping I'd get this speedometer and just be able to plug stuff in haha...well I have this group of wires that I have left after removing the old broken gauge housing...is this where I need to put the red and black wires?

Also, I've looked at the wiring diagram and it all seems a bit intimidating and makes little sense to me. I just wanted to add cool speedometer

One more question... is it possible to eliminate the tachometer all together? I shift based on hearing the motor and like the look of a single gauge...sorry for all the n00b stuff guys, really appreciate the help.

Comment

On that connector you are holding in your hand you should find a Black/white and a Grey wire those are the old gauge light feeds.Connect your wires to those.
        No technical reason to keep the tachometer, but I would suggest keeping the oil pressure warning light and the neutral light is quite handy.

Comment

If you remove your tach, you can replace the tach drive with the block-off plug Suzuki used in later (electronic tach) models. Bike Bandit part nos. 1064353 (490253-001) for the plug and 1064362 (490260-001) for the seal band (or use the band from your existing tach drive). Less than $15. These parts are listed for the 1982 GS1100S, GS300 and others.

Comment

Thanks for all the great advice and tips, Light works but the speedometer does not obviously i have a cable problem...anyone ever have this issue? Must the cable be replaced or is there something in the caliper I have to hit with a hammer? Just kidding but you know what I mean

Comment

Does your cable turn when you spin the front wheel?

Comment

Originally posted by drummered View Post
                ......I simply don't know the first thing about any of this .....
                Don't worry - that never stopped any of us from just diving into it!

Comment

Well the cable is not rotating while I move the tires.... What now ? Replace the cable?

Comment

Remove the cable from the speedometer drive on the front wheel. The inner may be pulled out of the drive or may be broken. Make sure the speedo drive turns where the cable is supposed to fit to turn the inner cable. Most likely just pulled out slightly at the speedo side and thus not engaging the square hole for the cable on the speedo drive at the wheel.

Comment

well, I took it apart all the mechanisms work...the part of the speedo attached to the wheel moves when I rotate the tire and the cable moves freely... upon reassembly, I made sure the wheel part was seated with the cable...I'm clueless as to why my speedo is still dead??

Comment

Originally posted by drummered View Post
                        well, I took it apart all the mechanisms work...the part of the speedo attached to the wheel moves when I rotate the tire and the cable moves freely... upon reassembly, I made sure the wheel part was seated with the cable...I'm clueless as to why my speedo is still dead??
                        OK, are you sure that the speedo you have now works?
                        Your could test it using an electric drill with a speed control to spin the speedo and see if the needle moves....

Comment

Working...
                        X