1982 GS1100 running on 3 cyl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1982 GS1100 running on 3 cyl

My 82 GS1100 is running on only 3 cyl. Coil fires other cylinder fine, I first thought it was a bad spark plug wire after first changing to new plugs. I replaced the coil. I then swapped plugs to see if I got a bad, new plug. Same cyl still refuses to fire. The plug is wet so I know it is getting fuel. I have not run a leak down test yet but will soon.

Am I missing something obvious? Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks

does it spark if you take out the plug, attach the ht lead, and hold it against the barrel while you're cranking it over?

Comment

chain or shaft model?

Comment

Chain. I have not pulled the plug to check spark yet. I will do that before running leakdown test.

Thanks for your quick replies.

Comment

How long since the last valve adjustment? And what about the carbs? Have you cleaned them lately and replace the O-rings?
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. Maulerman,

Sometimes the plug caps can go bad. They're cheap and easy to replace. Is it the #2 cylinder that is not firing? Is it really wet? It could be a leaky petcock, leaking down the vacuum line. READ THIS. More good stuff in the links below.

Anyway, let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Do a compression check on the dead cylinder. Take out the spark plug, put your finger over the hole and hit the starter. If it has any kind of compression you will feel it.
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Answers

Thanks for the great welcome. I have been drag racing GS1100's for a long time but this is the first time I have had a street bike. I did clean the carbs which it needed since it had sat for a long time before I got it. I considered the valve lash or at worst worn rockers or lobes but I haven't had the time to tear the cam cover off yet. I am unclear on what plug caps are. I have replaced the coils with Dyna coils and put the plug wires from my dragbike on since I know they are good. The coils and wires are not the problem anymore.

I have three kids that consume most of my time. At least now that the kids football season is over I may have time to work on it before basketball season starts. I also need to start yanking the dragbike apart to get it ready for next season.

Once again, I am grateful for your assistance. I hope I can return the favor one of these days.

Comment

Some comments:

- your plug from cyclinder not firing is wet, so fuel is not the problem you say. But maybe too much fuel, like can happen if carb float heigth way off (you said you had carbs apart, so maybe that got changed).

- plug caps are what is on end of the spark plug wire, and what go onto the spark plug. They do come off (twist & pull) unlike automotive. And they have a resistor in them (unlike automitive) that can go bad. (automotive uses resistive wires. Our GSes use non resitive wires and has a resitior in cap). Can check with ohm meter. Pull cap off and check ohms from inside the cap where the sprkplug would connect to the other side of the cap where the wire would connect. Should be about 5K ohms (5000 ohms), if much higher is going bad, if completley open (meter may show OL for overload) then has definitly gone bad.

- these plug caps can be found at any motorcycle dealer (not necessarly to get Suzuki), and are $5 each or less.

Welcome to GSR.

Last edited by Redman; 11-08-2011, 01:32 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                  GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Hi,

Originally posted by Maulerman View Post
                    I did clean the carbs which it needed since it had sat for a long time before I got it.
                    Click the links below to see how to properly clean your carbs. They must be completely disassembled and the carb bodies dipped in cleaner for up to 24 hours or more, depending on how long it's been since the engine has run and how the bike was stored (with gas in the tank?).

Mikuni BS(CV) Carburetor Rebuild Tutorial
                    (Mr. Nessism)

CV Carburetor Rebuild Guide
                    (Courtesy of GSR and John Bloemer)
                    (Click here to see the CV Carb Notes)

I considered the valve lash or at worst worn rockers or lobes but I haven't had the time to tear the cam cover off yet.
                    If you have a shaft drive, click this link for the valve adjustment guide:

Valve Adjustments (8 Valve)

If you have a chain drive, click this link for the valve adjustment guide:

Valve Adjustment for 16 Valve Motors
                    (by Mr. basic)

I am unclear on what plug caps are.
                    You can click the link in my previous post, or just click below:

Spark Plug Cap Replacement

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
                    X