Battery charging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Battery charging

I have attached additional wires to the terminals of my bike's battery (so as to avoid removing it from the bike everytime it is charged) and intend to do a quick charge. Would this screw up any of the electrical components of the bike?

Originally posted by wan3417 View Post
    I have attached additional wires to the terminals of my bike's battery (so as to avoid removing it from the bike everytime it is charged) and intend to do a quick charge. Would this screw up any of the electrical components of the bike?
    No, assuming the positive one doesnt come in contact with the bike ground.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Depends what you mean by "quick charge". A "quick charge" or "fast charge" in trade terminology means a high current charging rate which is only a concern as to over heating the battery unless voltage is taken above the normal electrical system set point.

The VRR set point is dependent on temperature to some degree so you may get away with charging voltage in the mid-to high- 14 volt range but the VRR may choose to intervene to limit voltage at much lower levels if temperature is warmer.

If quick or fast charging it is best practice to remove the battery from the machine so that the case has maximum cooling, a battery failure or boil-over will not spill onto the machine, and so that a charging voltage above the voltage regulator set point cannot damage the voltage regulator.

If you are intending to use a smaller capacity charger (something less than 12 amps maximum) then that rate is unlikely to overload the regulator but I never take the chance.

My bikes always have a two wire plug installed in order to connect a maintenance charger so routinely charge the batteries when not riding for a time. This is not a quick or fast charge rate however as the charger is only capable of a few amps. and is one of the smart variety.

Not sure if that answers your concerns.....?

Originally posted by wan3417 View Post

Comment

Someone should smack me along side the head as I seem always to believe that everyone knows....

An extremely important point to consider when charging a battery which is installed in a bike is whether the VR is a shunt type (load type/Zenor type).

If the charger has enough capacity to drive the voltage up to the regulator's set point, a Zenor type regulator will begin to shunt current to ground. At that point it becomes a struggle between the regulator's ability to handle the amount of current being shunted and the charger's ability to deliver current above the set point voltage. In a good world the regulator will prevail and the charger's circuit breaker will keep cutting out.

In a poorer world the regulator will burn up.

Some of the regulator manufacturers state that charging in that manner is one of the biggest causes of regulator failure.

This is the same problem encountered when jump starting a bike from an automobile. I had not appreciated that some shunt type regulators shunt within the stator leads which is completely different than shunting output to ground.

The thread linked by bakalorz regarding VRR function is fascinating and fills in some spaces for me. Very grateful for the opportunity to access this information and for his generous assistance. It is seldom that I find information of this quality on the web.

In order to learn something there are four requirements:

1) Someone/something who knows
        2) The willingness to communicate the information
        3) Opportunity
        4) The ability to communicate within a common frame of reference

I've hit it lucky here!

Sure wish the GS had my ST1100's 60 amp. alternator though.

Comment

Originally posted by Normk View Post
          Sure wish the GS had my ST1100's 60 amp. alternator though.
          It's even more fun to have a Wing with a 95-amp Compufire alternator.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            It's even more fun to have a Wing with a 95-amp Compufire alternator.

Oh, go have a cup of cappuccino and kool your jets.

Comment

I charge mine on a solar panel charger, it doesn't overload the battery and doesn't cost anything to run.
              1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
              1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

The battery mfg'ers typically recommend no more than 1.2 amp for a 12 A-h battery. I wouldn't push my luck with charging faster.
                Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

It's really about heat buildup and the battery's capacity for taking a charge. After starting the bike the battery is depleted but regains it's charge within a few minutes of exposure to 13.5 volts or more.

my solar panel puts out 22 volts with no load. Amazingly high. On the battery the voltage starts out around 12.85 and climbs slowly to around 13.2 and remains there. The battery is not hot, only slightly warm. At night it takes a break and during the day starts over.

I've done this for years and every spring I have a 100% charged battery ready to go. I got 5 years out of my AGM battery, I just replaced it this year. That's about par for a good battery these days, of course YMMV.

If you happen to run your battery down due to a starting problem or leaving the lights on, use a slow 2 milliamp charge rate to bring it back. The GS might overcharge it and overheat the battery. Let it run for 12-14 hours at the low rate.
                  1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
                  1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

So you're the one responsible for running down the sun by charging batteries!!!

The weather is getting colder, day by day, have you no mercy?

Originally posted by duaneage View Post
                    I charge mine on a solar panel charger, it doesn't overload the battery and doesn't cost anything to run.

Comment

duaneage, where did you place the panel? IIRC it needs to be outside, preferably in direct sunlight.

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
                        Oh, go have a cup of cappuccino and kool your jets.

sigpic
                        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride
                        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                        X