gs 400 ?s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gs 400 ?s

Ok so first off i am new to the forum and have been researching for a couple hrs now and havent been abil to nail down what im trying to figure out so im hoping i could get some info from all you folks here so here goes, my brother has a 1980 gs 400 that he is bobbing and stripping, i have a fair amount of electrical knowledge on building new wiring for the simple bobbed bikes that i have built but none on 6v systems. on his gs 400 if we take out all the old r/r stuff and put in a 12v modern r/r thats all one unit would it then be converted over to 12v? and would the old stator handle a 12v set up? he has had problems with his wiring from day one and now that its all stripped down to bare minimals i want to update his system and just start over with everything so we dont keep chasing down problem after problem and have to deal with the old r/r set up but need some help with this one.

Thank you,

-Corey

Your 400 shouldn't be a 6 volt system. AFAIK all the GS's were 12 volt.

Comment

I'm sorry its a gn400t got the fuses issue taken care of but does any one know of a modern r/r? or does any one know how to set up a custom new wiring set up for headlight,tail/brake and cdi/ignition?

Comment

Originally posted by corey View Post
        I'm sorry its a gn400t got the fuses issue taken care of but does any one know of a modern r/r? or does any one know how to set up a custom new wiring set up for headlight,tail/brake and cdi/ignition?
        Search for "Shindengen R/R " - these units have been around since late 70's and have proven very durable. millions used on atv's , jetskis, bikes,. I got a 30 year old one on my bike.
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Working...
        X