79 gs 400

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

79 gs 400

Good morning, my bike runs on left cylinder only, very intermitent spark on right. Any ideas? What to check first?
    Thanks,
    Woody

That'd be running points right?

I'd check the easy stuff first... spark plug gap and cap, points gap and condition of the points in general.

Then you need to check the condensor and the coil also.

Alternatively, just spend the $$$ and get yourself a shiny new Dynatek DS3-3C and ditch the points and old stock coils altogether
    1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
    1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Originally posted by pete View Post
      Alternatively, just spend the $$$ and get yourself a shiny new Dynatek DS3-3C and ditch the points and old stock coils altogether
      Might be able to get the guy making the PAMCO ignitions to make one for you. Looks like it would be cheaper than going Dyna (the DS3-3C is ~$300 because it comes with new coils, though you do get the new coils). See this thread:

Would you like to share the experiences you have had with a new accessory, part or vendor? Post your review here.

Comment

Weak spark...?
        Do not overlook the sparkplug cap.
        They twist-pull off.
        THey do go bad. Good is about 5K ohms. Bad is much higher.
        Can check with an ohm meter, or check by swapping them from one side to the other.
        Can get them at about any mo'cycle shop, need not be Suzuki.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

When you remove the caps to check the impedance, be sure and refresh the wires. Cut about 1/2" (1.25 cm to you) off the end of the wire. Looking straight at the end, you should see shiny copper in the center. This will insure the best connection possible.

Comment

79 gs400

Wow, thanks guys, what a great site! I have new plug wires, new coils, new condensers, new plugs. Now that I have filed the points and reset the timing all it will do is backfire once in a while. Maybe the dynatek is the way to go.
            Thanks,
            Woody

Comment

Personally, I would get it running with the points first. Then a move to the Dynatek would be relatively easy. But that's just me.

Comment

What's the voltage like at the coils? Also check out all the plugs and sockets and make sure they're clean.

How are the ground connections looking?
                1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

79 gs400

Hello again, I think i have found the problem, but im sure you guys would know for sure, do the condensors have to be grounded? I installed new coils and condensors and have the condensors just taped to the frame. Should they be grounded?
                  Thanks,
                  Woody

Comment

Yes .

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

79 gs400

Ok, now i got spark at the plugs,nice and blue. Ordered a set of points. Hope this does it. Still wont fire up though. coughs a bit. Are the points really fussy on gap, being clean etc?
                      I have filed the points and reset em as good as I can.Thanks for all the help guys.
                      Woody

Comment

Ya filing usually doesn't work out very well. The points need to be gaped properly and the timing set. An electronic ignition is nice but you can set up points to work just as well. Do you have a manual for the bike yet?
                        Rob
                        1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
                        Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

79 gs400

Hi, yup I got a manual and last nite I ordered a new set of points. Today I got it running a bit, running real rich. So, I pulled the tops off the carbs and moved the rings on the needles all the way to the top. Fired her up and she runs like a dream, well almost, still a bit hesitant but im sure the new points will cure that.
                          Thanks for all the help guys! I stil cant get over what a great resourse this site is.
                          Thanks again,
                          Woody

Comment

Working...
                          X