Total electrical failure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Total electrical failure

So I was riding home the other night, probably about 3 miles from work when I was stopped at a light. Everything was running smooth and getting warmed up. I ease out the clutch, give it some throttle and everything blinks out. No go, no lights at all, nothing. I check the kill switch (ON), try to start (nothing). I pushed it off to the sidewalk and start by checking the main fuse (good, changed it anyway), electrical connections and grounds good. I have a brand new wiring harness on the bike, newish handlebar controls, cleaned and dialectric greased all connections as the bike was going back together. I haven't made any additions or subtractions to the circuits other than switching from the glass fuse to blade type. I have another R/R that I tried and still nothing.

I have good enough sitting voltage at the battery (12.8) I am really in search of where to start to look for the true issue. I don't want to throw money at a bunch of parts without trying something first. ANY help is appreciated. Thank you, folks.

Battery cables first. Good ground? +12V @ starter solenoid "in" side?

So your main fuse looked fine. Are you seeing voltage at the main fuse? Does your bike have multiple fuses? Are you seeing voltage at both sides of those fuses (doubt it if everything is off).

Ignition switch is my first thought... Got to trace it out though. No point spending any money yet if you don't know where to start!

Comment

First verify that the battery is grounded to the frame, the motor is grounded, and the solenoid and R/R are grounded. Then follow the power wiring and find the places where power should be but isn't. Is there power in the fuse box?

I might suspect a plug came undone in the harness, an ignition switch issue, or possibly the around the kill switch.

Check for a simple disconnected circuit, especially since you haven't mentioned any stinky smokey crispy parts or wiring.
      Last edited by 850 Combat; 12-14-2011, 01:16 AM.
      sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

The same thing happened to me a few years ago. It turned out to be a blown fuse...that I found after pushing the bike home.
        1981 GS 450L

2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom

The good we do no one remembers.
        The bad we do no one forgets.

Mark 5:36 -- Overhearing what they said, Jesus told him, "Don't be afraid; just believe".

Comment

Thanks for the responses. Yeah, no crispy wires, grounds are all good, starter solenoid has power, can get the motor to turn over using a screwdriver across the top posts. I don't know why I didn't think about the actual ignition switch after being able to turn it over but not having any lights or power to handlebar controls. :/

Comment

Have a look at the wiring to the ignition switch. Broken wires / connections up there are not uncommon.
            79 GS1000S
            79 GS1000S (another one)
            80 GSX750
            80 GS550
            80 CB650 cafe racer
            75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
            75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Disconnect the Regulator/rectifier by removing the plug and it may all come alive again....

(I had the identical problem with the GK on the side of a highway, in complete darkness, but the bike fired up immediately after the disconnection and I was able to drive to destination on battery power)

....... unfortunately that scenario means the R/R is dead, so you will have to replace the R/R, and hopefully the stator will still be good.
              "If you are going through hell.......keep going."
              Winston Churchill

Comment

I bought a new RD400 back in the day. It quit a couple days after I bought it. It turned out that a plug in the wiring harness under the tank came loose. The plastic gang plug was still connected, but not sufficiently to make contact. Aparently the plug had not been assembled tightly enough to lock in.

Back in '80, I went on a tour who had just purchased a new KZ550 (dumb a s s bought the LTD). About a week into the ride, on the way to Yosemite, his bike quit. I found the same problem with it, and once again we were on our way.

The kill switch and clutch switch are in the loop for the starter solenoid.

I would pull off the tank, pull the head light, and start checking connectors.
                sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

The only time I had this happen was when the Reg/Rec blew. It took out every bulb and fuse at the same time as well, but the stator survived, thankfully. There was an actual hole in the potting material of the reg/rec and a sour smell. Otherwise, total failure occurred only one other time when my key wasn't fully turned to the run position and switched off when I hit a bump.

Comment

Working...
                  X