Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dyna-S on a 79, interchangeability of wires, coils, R/R?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dyna-S on a 79, interchangeability of wires, coils, R/R?

The 79 GS1000L that Im working on is going to be getting a Dyna-S as well as a Shindengen SH-232 R/R. Im thinking about swapping out the coils with something newer or some Dyna Green Dual Output 3.0 Ohm coils. I was looking and plug wires and found some slick old school cloth wrapped wires but they say "NOT for use with electronic ignition systems. Only use with points or magneto ignition systems." This got me thinking........

Im swapping the points for the Dyna-S to, well, get rid of the points and assist overall reliability.

Im swapping R/R's for the SH-232 for the reliability as well.

My question is: Compatibility. I know there is something electronically different between the 79's with points and the 80's without but I dont know how that effects the interchangeability of parts. Cans someone please explain in the simplest of terms that all can understand:

What is different between the two years that makes coils from a 79 not interchangeable on an 80?
    How does the Dyna-S affect the replacement of other parts? (ie. Coils, plug wires, R/R)
    How does overall compatibility work when it comes to swapping R/R's, points -> Electronic Ignition, and Coils?

My main goal is to ensure reliability for the future owner so Im trying to go over everything that I can think of that has given others headaches in the past.

You can't go wrong with the Dyna-S, the Dyna green coils and Dyna 8mm suppression wires. I believe the later models had their own electronic system that eliminated the mechanical advance of the older models that the Dyna-S works with.
    '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

The 79 has a points system and the coils are 5 Ohm.
      The 80 has an electronic system and the coils are 3 Ohm.
      You can use 5 Ohm coils on a 3 Ohm system, but not the other way around. Too low impedance coils would cause the system to heat up and possibly fail.

Since you are there anyway I suggest doing everything, meaning go ahead and use the Dyna (green) coils and the wires of your choice.

Comment

Working...
      X