Dyna 3-2 Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dyna 3-2 Help

I have everything installed... currently wiring it. The Dyna 3-2 wiring is a Black a white and a red... I understand the red just fine.

That said. The unit that came off has 3 wires that run up and connect. Those wires are B/W, G/W, and brown...

Dyna instructions say connect black and wires where the old connected. Obviously thats impossible.

I know this kit serves a range of years which would explain the confusion. Can anyone tell me how to properly install this?

Unplug the sig gen and discard. Unplug your igniter (and remove if possible). Take the Dyna wires right up to the coils. Each coil has a 2-wire harness; the Orange +12V wires stay intact. I cut the other wires between their plugs and the coils and connected there so as to leave the main harness intact. Here's a pic:

Since then I've added the coil relay mod.

When you get the rotor on and the crank bolt snugged down, make sure the rotor can still advance. The included spacer was too thick on my bike. I had to sand down the top of the rotor about 0.6-0.8mm to allow it to advance.

Comment

Thanks Mike, I went ahead and did all that. I am getting to the timing tomorrow. I checked spark .. 2and 3 had spark, 1 and 4 didnt. Bike has Green Coils and the Dyna 3-2. Should I have spark or not until the timing is done? Timing seems very scary for me, never done it before. Any tips on doing it or on the spark issue?

Comment

No, you should definitely have spark without timing. What voltage are you seeing at both terminals on the coil not firing? There's been some talk of clearance issues with the Dyna green coils; make sure neither terminal is grounding to the stand-off.

This might help on the timing:

Use some fixed geometric reference, like the lower edge of the left pickup, if you put a line through it, cutting through the lower-left screw on the plate. That should get you close enough for it to run. I must admit that I never used the static timing procedure in the Dyna installation instructions. A friend of mine lent me his inductive timing light and I used the marks.

Comment

Thanks Mike, I cannot say exactly what it was but I checked all connections again and re-positioned the coils away from frame. I also Taped off the frame. hAve spark now in all cylinders.

Comment

Good deal. Get that thing timed up and go for a ride!

Comment

If you get explosive backfires when you try and start it, then the rotor is in backwards. IIRC, the magnet is supposed to face to the right when 1-4 is TDC.

Comment

I bought a timing gun. The one with the adjustment knob on the back... I was checking it out last night and dont know how to use it. Is there a guide anywhere or can someone give me a step by step?

Comment

here it is....

Comment

Nice light. The procedure is very straightforward. The red and black leads go to the battery terminals. The pickup goes over the wire you are testing, and it needs to be oriented correctly (there is a little picture of a sparkplug and an arrow). If your clutch needs pulled in for it to start, wrap a bungee cord or rope around it to hold the lever in. MAKE SURE the bike is in neutral (or better yet, on the centerstand). Points cover off. Set that dial on the back of the timing light to 0. Put the pickup on the #4 wire, making sure no wires will touch the exhaust. Turn the bike ignition on. Crouch down and point the timing light at the circular window in the timing plate. Pull the trigger on the timing light, and push the starter button on the motorcycle for a few seconds. You should see 1,4 in the window; if you see 2,3 stop immediately because the rotor is 180 degrees off. If so, you need to remove the signal rotor, rotate it 180, and reinstall (or change all your plug wires, lol, or change the igniton wires going to the coils). With 1,4 in the window, you can go ahead and start the bike. Have it idle around 1000 rpm and have a fan blowing on the motor. At idle, the F mark should be aligning with the other mark, and when you rev the motor, it should advance to the highest mark. Loosen and rotate the timing plate to adjust. After 1,4 is set correctly, change the pickup to wire number 3 to see the other timing marks. If 2,3 do not align correctly, then you need to adjust the 2,3 black pickup on the plate.
                    Last edited by Guest; 01-09-2012, 02:23 PM.

Comment

This thread might help:

Place your GS electrical or ignition related questions in this forum.

In posts 3 and 6 I attached some images from the factory service manual w/r/t the timing marks and the timing procedure.

Comment

Thanks guys. I followed the directions and I believe it is set correctly. First experience with a timing light, pretty neat little tool. Been itching to take this thing out but its been raining evenings here not to mention below 30. I will let you know how it runs when I get out this weekend.

Comment

Working...
                        X