5 wire regulator wiring?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5 wire regulator wiring?

I am working on a friends new to him 1981 GS 1100. It has a 5 wire regulator that came with it. Not wired up with no connector. I am sure that the center 3 wires are for the stator they are yellow, white with red stripe and white with a blue stripe. Now the other two I am not sure, one is supposed to be switched and the other to battery but I don't know which one for sure.

I tested the regulator with the following results.

diode test on meter

+ to black with white strip
    - to 2 white .565v
    - to yellow .565v

- to black with white stripe
    + to 2 white open
    + to yellow open

+ to red
    - to white/blue stripe .1v
    - to white open
    - to yellow open

- to red
    + to white/blue stripe .05v
    + to white .530v
    + to yellow .530v

+ to red
    - to black open

- to red
    + to black .560v

Black to 2 white 1 yellow wire test looks right for standard regulator test leads me to think that would be connection to battery. Red test compared to stock would be a bad regulator, but if this is the sense wire then it could be correct but I don't know.

Anybody have the specs for this regulator or maybe what it came from stock so I can find the proper tests.

Thanks for looking
    Glenn

You need to simplify things and mentally change the wire colors.

The RED one is your output wire, it gets connected to the RED wire in the harness between the fuse box and the air box.

The BLACK wire is your ground, it gets connected to the battery negative terminal. It's probably not long enough to reach there, so cut the connector off, add some wire and make it long enough to reach the battery.

Now the mental part: the three remaining wires can be ANY color you want. They are the stator input wires, they can be connected to ANY of the wires coming from the stator. Note that one of the stator wires will connect to a wire that runs into the harness, then comes back with a different-colored stripe. Eliminate that mystery run, connect all three stator wires directly to the R/R input wires.

Don't forget to check your work, then tidy it up and go for a ride.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Steve..you can also just add a ring connector to the red wire and go straight to the battery positve as well. Granted the red will be switched as your application is..which may be of some advantage. Its apples and oranges really, but both ways will work.
      Last edited by chuck hahn; 01-02-2012, 01:49 AM.
      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
        Steve..you can also just add a ring connector to the red wire and go straight to the battery positve as well. Granted the red will be switched as your application is..which may be of some advantage. Its apples and oranges really, but both ways will work.
        Yes, you can do this. Just make sure to add a fuse in line.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Personally, I woudn't waste my time with that midget R/R- these things have to dissipate heat- why risk disaster when there are known better alternatives?
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Hi,

Yes, I know it is tempting to take the cheap way out and install an old OEM style r/r unit. But they have been proven to be inadequate. See the electrical section of my website for newer, more robust, compatible units that can be purchased from Ebay inexpensively. You'll find wiring diagrams and other electrical goodness on my website too.

Thank youu for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Thanks all.
              I have shown the owner of the bike the choices, he is going to make his decision in the next couple days. Nice site BassCliff full of great information.

Comment

Working...
              X