turn signals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

turn signals

i ordered some new turn signals for my gs450 and when i pluged them in the light up but dont blink... they are 12v23w just like my factory ones are and those are blinking still so does anyone else out there with electrical experience knows whats going on

Hi,

Those symptoms make me think that the new bulbs do not have the proper load for the stock flasher relay. Perhaps a new electronic flasher is in order? If you change the flasher unit you will lose the "auto cancel" feature.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
    Last edited by Guest; 01-02-2012, 11:15 PM.

Comment

i dont believe i have an auto cancel feature but being that both the old bulbs are 12v23w and the new bulbs are 12v23w wouldnt you think that they would just "plug and play"

Comment

Swap the bulbs from your old set to the new ones ? see if the blink is back

did you miss any wires that were hooked up, and now are not ?

Comment

Hi,

Originally posted by TyFerris View Post
          ...being that both the old bulbs are 12v23w and the new bulbs are 12v23w wouldnt you think that they would just "plug and play"
          You would think. But obviously there's something amiss with the new bulbs. Did the old bulbs work OK? Are the new bulbs incandescent or LED? Are they two wire (single filament) or three wire (dual filament)?

BassCliff

Comment

old bulbs worked great, they new ones are single filament as are the current ones, all i did was unplug positive and negative from the old and re-plugged in the new ones... i still wanna think im missing something over ordering a new flasher replay...

Comment

sorry, maybe you did, but maybe I didn't put it down correctly....or I miss read

take your old bulbs, and put into the new turn signals, does it work ?

Comment

Hi,

You should be able to pick up a compatible flasher relay off the shelf at your local auto parts store for less than $10. See my little website for more info.

BassCliff

Comment

I had that issue with my stock indicators when running them off a dodgy old PC power supply that couldn't supply enough juice... dropped down to less than 10v when turning the indicator on which let them just turn on but not blink.

Hooked up to a real battery and they're just fine and dandy.

Is your battery charged ok?

I also had a similar issue when a couple of my grounds weren't properly connected behind the headlight while I was still finishing things up.
                  1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                  1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Flip the turn signal on and tap the relay with your finger, does that cause the Signal to Blink?
                    If so, you're Relay is likely at fault, provided your wiring is clean.
                    (obviously you put the ignition On for this test)

It's possible that your new bulbs are just a hair more effiecient than the old ones, and you add in the fact that you're using an old relay....it's really not that hard to believe
                    Last edited by Guest; 01-03-2012, 09:38 PM.

Comment

Hi,

Yes! Like Mr. pete says, unless the voltage is adequate the turn signals will not blink. This has happened to my bike a couple of times when I didn't know it was having charging issues.

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
                      X