Rectifier Surrender- 79 GS 1K

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rectifier Surrender- 79 GS 1K

OK- I will admit that this is lazy, but then again I used to bribe kids in school for the answers to homework also. Good news- There is TONS of info about the Stator/Rectifier issues on my 79 GS 1000e on this forum. Bad News- A) There is TONS of info about the Stator/Rectifier issues on my 79 GS 1000e on this forum. Simply put, I can't really decipher what RR/Stator combination is the obvious choice for my bike. Series, Shunt, 5 wire, 3 wire, etc- outside of my pencil pushing comfort zone by a mile. Since the bike is new to me, and I don't wrench for myself (Dad/Career issues), I just want to say to my dealer " here is a link- install these parts". Has anybody used a Stator and RR unit that is the clear choice for this bike? Endless gratitude for helping me to stay dumb and lazy...
    1979 GS 1000e
    1967 Triumph Bonneville
    1986 Honda VFR 750
    2014 Indian Vintage
    2015 KLR 650
    2019 Yamaha Tracer GT
    2021 Yamaha Tenere 700
    2023 Triumph Tiger 1200
    And so on...

sigpic

Honestly, very few "dealers" will work on these old bikes and do so with any hope of proficiency. You'll find things will be more screwed up once you get it back than before. So, it's the biggest reason why we tell everyone to just do the work yourself.

With that said, I have an old Honda R/R Duaneage used to sell. If you look on Basscliff's site (assuming you already have your welcome package), you'll find an article discussing replacement options. Also, talk to Posplayer as many folks on here like the Compufire.

Throw your bike info in your signature block so you won't have to remember to always include it.
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

With all I've read on the subject, I must say I've been rather lucky, having 3 bikes and not having a problem with the regulator/rectifier. But there are quite a bit on E-bay to choose from once you do. I hear Rick's makes a good one.

http://motors.shop.ebay.com/i.html?_...gulator&_sacat=

eBay Motors makes it easy to find parts for cars, trucks, SUVs, motorcycles & more. We even offer a massive selection of new & pre-owned classics, hot rods, exotics, vans, ATVs, RVs, boats and more at eBay Motors. Shop for your next vehicle, or start selling in a marketplace with 171 million buyers.
      sigpic
      Steve
      "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

I would ask, has anyone taken a look at the charging system to see if you really need either the rectifier or the regulator? or, is you intent to replace both as preventative maintenance?
        De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Hi,

I like Rick's Electrics stators. Their part number for your bike is 21-303 (OEM=31401-49010).

Then look for a regulator/rectifier unit from this list off of eBay. They will be more robust than the OEM style r/r units sold by Suzuki or aftermarket vendors.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Well, I'm planning to install either a Sindengen SH-238-12 or a SH-232 on my '78 1000E. I have changed out a number of them on later single unit bikes, but this will be the first on a bike that came with a separate regulator and rectifier.

I know I can easily do it without help, but to those who have done it, What is considered the best way to mount the single unit? Also, the list does not indicate that the 238 is suitable, but its off a GL1100, which I believe makes it suitable. its an 8 wire, two greens and two reds, so double power and double grounds, I guess.

Anybody put one on a Skunk recently?
            Last edited by 850 Combat; 01-03-2012, 04:07 PM.
            sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

If I recall correctly, I put one on Chuck Hahn's 1000C. ask him if He would take pictures as to how it's mounted.
              De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Earliest I could get some pics would be thursday afternoon..
                MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Any use?

1980 GS1000G - Sold
                  1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                  1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                  1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                  2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                  1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                  2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Rick's?

I am doing this as preventative maintenance, and it looks like Rick's carry's both the Stator and the R/R unit. Unless someone tells me that it is bad call, Rick's looks like the best and most straightforward solution for me....
                    1979 GS 1000e
                    1967 Triumph Bonneville
                    1986 Honda VFR 750
                    2014 Indian Vintage
                    2015 KLR 650
                    2019 Yamaha Tracer GT
                    2021 Yamaha Tenere 700
                    2023 Triumph Tiger 1200
                    And so on...

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by open1mind View Post
                      I am doing this as preventative maintenance,
                      Wow, you're setting a bad example; I waited till my original stator cooked itself at 36k- my original R/R died a year later.
                      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

My VR and rectifier are still working fine after 34 years
                        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                        1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                        1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                        1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                        1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                        2007 DRz 400S
                        1999 ATK 490ES
                        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
                          My VR and rectifier are still working fine after 34 years
                          The 1000E I picked up in Medford is charging about 13.5 volts. Figured I would plug in a 9 dollar R/R and see what happens. I haven't looked at it much yet. I do know that it has the blue spade connectors on the Stator, and that stuff looks fresh...
                          sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Hi,

Originally posted by open1mind View Post
                            ...it looks like Rick's carry's both the Stator and the R/R unit. Unless someone tells me that it is bad call....
                            The Rick's r/r unit will work. But most of us use a later model Honda r/r unit like the one pictured in Mr. salty_monk's post. There are several models that are compatible and are more robust than the OEM style part that Rick's sells. You'll find a list of compatible units on my little website. About the only inconvenience is that you'll have to install your own connectors.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
                            X