X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

electrical issues

Happy new year to all,
    81gs1000g
    I welded the frame some time back and forgot to disconnect the battery so i fried the battery. got a new battery and didnt start since. all my lights,horn,indicators, fuses and starter work fine but i have no spark. when trying to start the battery just drains out. pretty sure i fried the stator,reg/rec,coils,dyna ignition . Could someone please contirm this.
    I have a new 6 wire reg/rec(red,black,green,3xyellow wire).Any ideas on the correct way to connect this?.
    many thanks in advance,

Originally posted by taylorgaz View Post
    Happy new year to all,
    81gs1000g
    I welded the frame some time back and forgot to disconnect the battery so i fried the battery. got a new battery and didnt start since. all my lights,horn,indicators, fuses and starter work fine but i have no spark. when trying to start the battery just drains out. pretty sure i fried the stator,reg/rec,coils,dyna ignition . Could someone please contirm this.
    I have a new 6 wire reg/rec(red,black,green,3xyellow wire).Any ideas on the correct way to connect this?.
    many thanks in advance,
    Step 1; take new R/R far away from bike till you get bike to run so as to not damage it till you sort things out. Follow the link to Basscliff's site and review the not starting tests. A electrical spike might have knocked out your ignitor, but let's hope it's just a loose connection.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Thanks for the reply but my bike doesnt have an ignitor,I have gone through the wiring on the bike and no ignitor. Is this sometimes a normal practice or what is going on with the wiring.The bike ran fine for two years before i blew the battery

Comment

Your bike uses points and condensers? or has someone converted it to an aftermarket ignition system?
        De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

it has a dyna ignition system. does this replace the ignitor?
          Last edited by Guest; 01-06-2012, 10:34 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the reply but my bike doesnt have an ignitor,I have gone through the wiring on the bike and no ignitor. Is this sometimes a normal practice or what is going on with the wiring.The bike ran fine for two years before i blew the battery
            OK, take off signal generator cover (small round cover engine lower right) and tell us what you see. Something has to make spark somehow!

I'm still having trouble wondering why battery blew when you were arc welding, but it's still early.

Update; yes the dyna replaces the stock ignition setup
            Last edited by tom203; 01-06-2012, 10:37 AM. Reason: slow
            1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

i have a dyna ignition with two red ,a black and a white wire. the black and the white are going to each coil. the two reds are joined and are not connected to anything?

Comment

Comment

Cheers for the diagram, I finally got spark and the bike started up,Now just to connect the r/r. i understand the 3x yellow wires connect to the stator in any order, the red to the battery positive.Now i have a black/white and a green left.Some diagrams show the green as earth and others show the black as earth.The bike was rewired before so im not sure which diagram is correct for the year.

Comment

Cheers for the diagram, I finally got spark and the bike started up,Now just to connect the r/r. i understand the 3x yellow wires connect to the stator in any order, the red to the battery positive.Now i have a black/white and a green left.Some diagrams show the green as earth and others show the black as earth.The bike was rewired before so im not sure which diagram is correct for the year.
                    Is this a Shindengen brand R/R? maybe Chinese knockoff? green is earth, black/white wire (is it smaller size?) is the sense wire. Review Basscliff's diagrams for where to connect the sense wire ( this tells the R/R what's happenning downstream.)
                    1981 gs650L

Comment

Sorted, thanks a million to all

Comment

Sorted, thanks a million to all
                        Hooray, but hopefully you checked charging output to be sure- better to find out in your driveway than on a country lane as night falls.
                        1981 gs650L

Comment

Back again, Seems i had spark only on #1+4,changed wiring on coils and have spark on #2+3 so coils seem ok, i only have 12 volts on the white wire on the dyna with ignition on. I originally suspected i had done damage by welding the frame without disconnecting the battery. Would a faulty stator cause weak or no spark? Or could a bad battery cause the problem, when i crank the engine the battery just drains out so i have recharged it a couple of times when testing for spark. I am working of a 79 gs1000 wiring diagram where one stator wire goes to the run switch and back to the r/r.
                          any ideas?
                          Cheers

Comment

You likely have multiple issues here, so approach things step by step. A bad stator would produce none or little power, but won't cause just one set of coils to not work. Connect all three stator wires direct to R/R, UNLESS you often run with headlight off. You need to review the charging system tests to make sure things are working correctly, or to pinpoint a problem. What brand of R/R did you get- any numbers, etc.?
                            An electrical spike that could blow battery could have impacted other stuff. Put you bike/model/tear in your signature to aid folks
                            1981 gs650L

Comment

Back again, Seems i had spark only on #1+4,changed wiring on coils and have spark on #2+3 so coils seem ok, i only have 12 volts on the white wire on the dyna with ignition on. I originally suspected i had done damage by welding the frame without disconnecting the battery. Would a faulty stator cause weak or no spark? Or could a bad battery cause the problem, when i crank the engine the battery just drains out so i have recharged it a couple of times when testing for spark. I am working of a 79 gs1000 wiring diagram where one stator wire goes to the run switch and back to the r/r.
                              any ideas?
                              Cheers
                              The white wire is the ground side for 1~4 coil. when the ignition 'module' isn't grounding the coil you 'will' have +12 volts indicated on the ground side wire. when the 'module' is grounding it, the voltage on the white wire will be at or near 0 volts and the ignition coil is building the magnetic field. when the module opens the ground side of the coil, the field collapses, spark is made and it will measure +12 volts again.

what wiring did you change on the coils? was it the orange wires or the black and white wires.

no, a faulty stator, nor a bad battery would cause the problem you are having. I would make sure that you have voltage being supplied to the positive side of both coils and the negative sides wiring is connected properly.

Comment

Working...
                              X