Gauge Lights Blinking on Speedometer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gauge Lights Blinking on Speedometer

I have lights intermittently going out on my speedometer. It appears it is a group of lights, not just one. The right side seems to be affected. Is this a circuit board problem, or some sort of contact points? It is annoying at night and is in the has to be fixed asap list. Any help would be appreciated and I suppose replacing all the bulbs would be a good idea while I'm in there.
    '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Originally posted by OldVet66 View Post
    I have lights intermittently going out on my speedometer. It appears it is a group of lights, not just one. The right side seems to be affected. Is this a circuit board problem, or some sort of contact points? It is annoying at night and is in the has to be fixed asap list. Any help would be appreciated and I suppose replacing all the bulbs would be a good idea while I'm in there.
    Look for corrosion in a ground or power connection inside the speedometer.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Assuming the speedo lights plug into the rear of the housing as do my 850's so likely not an issue inside the speedometer head. Likely areas would be the common connection or common ground for those lights.

Try wiggling the wiring to see if you can localize the problem in the shop.

An alternative would be to jumper a temporary ground wire to the socket of one of the affected bulbs and see if that solves the problem. If so, you have the problem localized to the ground or power side of the wiring to that area. A temporary ground can be as simple as to wedge a wire between the bulb and socket while installing the bulb into the socket. Just make sure the wire isn't so long as to reach the contact button at the bottom as this will blow the fuse when powered on.

Sometimes solving these intermittent wiring issues can require the use of "specialized technical language" so it may be best to exclude small children and elderly neighbor ladies from the work area.

Comment

Working...
      X