no lights, can't start 78' GS750

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

no lights, can't start 78' GS750

Hi all! I'm not sure how to go about fixing this problem but my bike has worked fine for a very long time and now when I turn the key to go and start the bike I'm not getting any electricity to the head light and the start button isn't working at all. The battery IS charged. Any wise GS'ers know what my delema could be? I'm missing out on an AWESOME beach day here in Florida and this must be fixed quickly lol

Thanks,
    Ed

Originally posted by drummered View Post
    Hi all! I'm not sure how to go about fixing this problem but my bike has worked fine for a very long time and now when I turn the key to go and start the bike I'm not getting any electricity to the head light and the start button isn't working at all. The battery IS charged. Any wise GS'ers know what my delema could be? I'm missing out on an AWESOME beach day here in Florida and this must be fixed quickly lol

Thanks,
    Ed
    Well, it's maintenance day instead of beach day! Fixed quickly??? you hope. Have you check the main fuse- headlight fuse- ignition fuse? Just replace them because they can fool you.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by drummered View Post

Thanks,
      Ed

Did you check all of your fuses, with a meter ?

-Dave
      82 GS1100E
      five asses because it's far superior to having just four!
      Yes, I watched too much South Park!

Comment

Fuses, connections are the most likely starting points. A test light can be an easier test for such circuits than a meter as high impedance meters will fool one is there is no current flow.

How do you know that the battery is charged?

To build on Tom's post, this is often a sign that more extensive maintenance is in order because corrosion, poor contact in one area often indicates impending issues in others. Once you have the problem solved, put electrical connection maintenance onto your "To Do List" as he has recommended.

Some time spent pouring over the wiring diagram when you are at leasure is time well invested as a better understanding of how the circuits work reduces the stress and struggle when trouble shooting.

Give us an update and we'll see if we can help.

Comment

Working...
        X