Help me find this connection on my 80gs1000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help me find this connection on my 80gs1000

Hey guys, got a question. When I bought my bike, the guy said I'd need to go over it just to check a few things out, wiring and hardware, but nothing major which is fine. Luckily I think the only wiring bug I found is with the rear brake switch. It had a little flat connection piece just hanging under the tank, with two wires connected, orange and white. that eventually went up and into the headlight. Now I googled the wiring diagram for this bike and came up with this......

It looks to me like this connection is for the rear brake lights, and that makes sense because I have a working running light, however no brake lights from rear or front brakes. The front master cylinder is new, and he did not put the brake light plug in it, however I cannot find it hanging anywhere on the bike. My question is this, where does this small oblong piece with an orange and white wire soldered on the back go to? Am I missing another wire that takes it up to the front master cylinder? It obviously does not fit on the master cylinder plug.

Thanks!!!

If your bike is a chain drive then that's the wrong wiring diagram.
    De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

my bike is in fact chain drive, which one do I need to look for?

Comment

Nice diagram. You found it with a google search?

Can you take a picture of the plug in question?

Daniel

Comment

One for a GS1000ET.

orange and white sounds like ignition coil related wires.
          De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
            orange and white sounds like ignition coil related wires.
            Only if it's on the same wire, RB.

Replacement brake light switches look like this:

Stng_96, as you can see in the package, the little circuit board has the wires attached to it, and there is a black cover that holds it in place under the brake lever/master cylinder mount. The wires will go into the headlight bucket, but the wires they connect to will likely be orange with a green stripe.

Your REAR brake switch should be a small cylinder attached to the frame near the right footpeg. There should be a wire (spring) that attaches it to the brake mechanism just inside the frame, where the pedal pivot is.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Steve, that is it, however I guess the black piece in there is long gone on my bike, Ill have to figure something out. I wonder if the master cylinder on my bike is correct, because on mine, the plug is pointed toward the bike, with two flat male ends sticking out, think I could just modify that piece and put some plug connectors on the wires?

Comment

Yes sir, found it seaching gs1000 wiring diagram, ill get some pictures and post them this evening.

Comment

The new switch kit is like 12 bucks and readily available. To adjust the back brake switch, you loosen the two jam nuts that clamp it to the frame mount and adjudt up or down till the light works when you press the foot brake lever.
                  MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                  1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Working...
                  X