Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS750 1977 No spark

GS750 1977 normally starts fine only have kick start

but now cant see a spark when testing against the engine, i know each side has its own coils and the battery's 1 month old and the lights work, i was wondering at what point in the wiring could stop the contact to the coils?

Originally posted by ybot1966 View Post

but now cant see a spark when testing against the engine, i know each side has its own coils and the battery's 1 month old and the lights work, i was wondering at what point in the wiring could stop the contact to the coils?
    IF this came on suddenly, I'd blame the kill switch (or its wiring), if you still got one.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I am thinking kill switch would be first thing I would check too. I had a switch that i had toflick back and forth till it would work right once. I finally stopped using the kill switches on my bikes. Some electronic store spray contact cleaner may clean it up. Take out the screws and remove it from the bars and give it a cleaning and then see what happens. And check all the fuses too..just to be sure.
      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Probably just a loose wire. If you don't have a start button I'm guessing that means it's either broken or there's been some splicing here and there. Check to see that your coils are getting their required voltage, if they're not you'll have to do some back tracking and see where the short/loose wire is using your voltmeter or volt tester light. If you're not getting spark to any of the coils at all then it would doubtful it has anything to do with your points or coils.
        Rob
        1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
        Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

DO you have a volt meter or a test lamp probe?

Do you have a schematic?

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
          GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Hi,

I found these tips on some guy's website:

Testing The Ignition System
            Points Timing
            Diagnosing Slow Cranking
            Igniter/Signal Generator/Coil Test
            Igniter Repair/Testing (2MB PDF)

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by ybot1966 View Post

Most likely the condensors

Is there power to the points?

Is there power to the coils?
              1978 GS 1000 (since new)
              1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
              1978 GS 1000 (parts)
              1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
              1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
              1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
              2007 DRz 400S
              1999 ATK 490ES
              1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Are the points opening and closing as they should?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Its got a newtronic electronic ignition but the starter solinoid has gone so always kick started it, ill have to invest in a multimeter

Comment

I can help you on the meter if you need one.
                    And the starter solenoid can be replaced with a garden tractor solenoid if you want your starter back.

Comment

Working...
                    X