Dead Shorai battery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dead Shorai battery

I asked recently about batteries here and was recommended a Shorai for it's smaller size and weight. Well it's only smaller in depth, but not height or width. That is ok and actually quite handy as it turns out. It is a LOT lighter!

But this battery is one week old. It cranked the starter motor quite happily and lasted long enough to get my bike to fire up on Thursday. Then on Friday it started having trouble turning the engine over so I put it on the Shorai recharger. The charger has a yellow and a green LED and if they blink alternately that means the battery has run too low and needs recharging. So now the battery has been recharging for 24 hours and still the green and yellow lights indicate it needs recharging. I turned it off then on again and still the same.

So I measure the battery and it measures 12.85VDC. After 24hrs recharge? It still struggles to start the bike. Well, doesn't. I've emailed Shorai but no reply yet. It IS the weekend so that's understandable. Has anyone else had this issue? I'm not super impressed.

I have not had the exact same issue as you (and do not have a Shorai) but I do know that even "new" batteries have to be charged properly (not too high amperage) before being installed. Maybe yours was not 100% charged ?
    1981 GS850G "Blue Magic" (Bike Of The Month April 2009)

1981 GS1000G "Leo" (Bike Of The Month August 2023)

Comment

The instructions state that the battery will arrive about 80% charged. They say that it is fine to use immediately and in fact probably shouldn't be recharged before use. Weird, but that's what they say!

Comment

In reading about these batteries, a FEW people have had troubles with them in colder weather. It seems they need "warming up". Turning the headlight on for a minute or so before attempting to start the engine has worked for some of the users.
        2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Oh it's really not cold where I live! At the moment it's rather warm actually - today was pleasant but it's been around 100F the last few weeks.

Thanks for the idea though. I read that too - doubt it will ever be an issue here, but you never know. I do like to have the air-con on where I keep the bike if I'm working in there.

Comment

I would call them, I had the opportunity to speak with one of the primary developers. My battery ran down from a drain and never recovered, It is a paper weight

Comment

And they are so light they wouldn't even make a good paperweight! Well today is Sunday and after recharging since Friday it says it is fully charged. So I will try to start the bike later the afternoon. Wish me luck!

Comment

Bugger Jimmy! Any luck? Fingers crossed...
                1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

One of the guys I ride with has a Shorai that did something like that

Turns out he was sold one that is too small in amperage for his bike and it ended up frying a cell
                  Shorai were pretty good to him and gave him a battery under warranty and discount on a charger

Comment

Working...
                  X