Clutch switch replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch switch replacement

So I'm fixing a few things on my 83 gs450 and one of those things was the brake light. I noticed that it was missing the switch part in the handlebar bar lever, and noticed the clutch lever has a similar mechanism so i took that part and replaced it. Now i realize this was the starter disconnect switch so i will need to replace it. I've searched for the tiny replacement part to no avail. Does anyone have any diy fixes or can i just bridge the terminals on the wire part?

Originally posted by zubz View Post
    So I'm fixing a few things on my 83 gs450 and one of those things was the brake light. I noticed that it was missing the switch part in the handlebar bar lever, and noticed the clutch lever has a similar mechanism so i took that part and replaced it. Now i realize this was the starter disconnect switch so i will need to replace it. I've searched for the tiny replacement part to no avail. Does anyone have any diy fixes or can i just bridge the terminals on the wire part?
    You can bypass it. Follow the wires down into the headlight and disconnect them, then connect the two wires together that you just disconnected from. What you are doing is essentially bypassing that switch and completing that starter circuit.

Looks like I'm not the only one that lost that little itty bitty spring to places unknown. I did eventually find mine after hours of searching only to find it on top of my engine case by the starter cover. These are easy to find on e-bay all day long.
    sigpic
    Steve
    "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

Bypassing that switch is very common here. Many of us have done it.

Looking at that replacement switch, it would be good to note that there is a very subtle difference between the brake switch and the clutch switch.

The clutch switch has one male, one female bullet connector on the ends of the wires. The brake switch has two males.
      Other than that, you can swap them back and forth.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
      X