2 weird things...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 weird things...

1. My motor is bone dry and for one reason or another when i turn the key on the low pressure light doesnt go on. I chased all the wiring and it seems sound.

2. The bikes gear indicator seems off. The neutral light works... it reads 1 for first but theb makes odd number choices... like "g" and 6 when its clearly a 5 speed. would this be from the dry motor or possibly could my shifter shaft have shifted during teardown?

Sounds like a poor ground or wiring connection between the harness and the gauges.

Comment

Ill have to doublecheck when i get to the garage tonight. thanks!

Comment

The oil pressure switch is exactly that, a switch. When no oil flows, it closes and supplies the ground to complete the circuit, which then turns on the light, when you start the bike up, the switch opens, breaking the circuit, turning off the light.
        To check the light, just take that wire that snaps to the pressure switch and ground it, with your key on, the light should come on. If it doesn't you either have a dead battery, burned out light bulb, defective ignition switch, or wiring problem.
        Easy test, check it and see what you get then report back.
        sigpic
        Steve
        "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

I think it's either a wiring problem or a light bulb. I MAY have forgotten to attach the green/yellow from the harness to the green/yellow in the dash...

I grounded out the wire as you said and nothing happened. So... off come the gauges!

Thanks for the help!

Comment

Ok... re-checked everything. Not the light bulb... and nothing once attached to the negative on the battery. So... oil pressure sensor is goosed? Maybe I'll have to wait to get some fresh oil in it and see if it does anything once it runs and warms up.

Secondly. Checked the little shift indicator... I think the panel is burned out. The ground is fine, ran a hard ground to the battery and touched each point on the case sensor... 1, N, nothing, backwards 6, 9, 8.... I think the LED's are gone... I can see how a digital 3 can be a backward six with the addition of a light, as with 4 with the top, and 5 with the bottom left and top right...

I did check the harness from the clip that goes into the indicator back to the pickup and each one has perfect continuity. Didn't hook it to an OHM meter, just a test-light.

Oh well. I don't care. It's more of a convenience than a necessity. The oil pressure light, however.. has me a tad concerned.

Comment

Working...
            X