Starter spins, but not engaging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starter spins, but not engaging

Hit the button, get a strong "whir" from the starter, but the bike won't start.

Something is not engaging.

Is this a symptom for which the "pull the starter and check the bushes and clean the commutator" procedure is recommended?

Can't tell from the manual whether that procedure is for a slow starter that won't spin up, or whether the lack of engagement in mine is likely to be helped.

possibly broken bolts on starter clutch. BTDT.
    2002 bmw r1150gs 1978 gs1000E skunk les pew 1979 gs1000L dragbike
    82 gs1100L probably the next project
    1980 gs1000G the ugly 1978 gs750E need any parts?
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m_m2oYJkx1A
    1978 gs1000E skunk #2 RLAP

Comment

If you've messed with starter, make sure it's turning right direction. Otherwise, pull the cover and take a peak at starter clutch drive-
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

starter gear set up ''''''''''

hi i,d pull the left side off and check the springs and rollers and also stone smooth the sheet metal on the side for grooves /damage its not a hard job to do regards oldgrumpy

Comment

Okay, thanks for the advice.

Haven't pulled the starter out since I got the bike, so it is spinning the right direction.

Assume the starter clutch drive is the pinion gear assembly?

Will check on all the items mentioned above.

At some point, I'm just hoping to ride this thing for more than a week at a time.

Comment

#1 In this drawing
            De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Thank you, rustybronco.

Comment

Sounds like a starter-clutch issue to me. You can remove the left engine cover to reveal the alternator and starter drive (drain the oil first or it will all spill out when you remove the cover). Engage the starter and if the starter-clutch ring-gear turns but the crank doesn't - it's your starter-clutch. I assume the starter-clutch is in pretty much the same position on the Tempter as it is on my 1100E's - behind the alternator rotor/flywheel. It's position makes it a pain to get to as the rotor/flywheel is a beast to get off even with the right tools.

Comment

You have no idea how much I am hoping you are wrong. I'm very much a newbie wrench and that sounds a bit beyond my skill level at the moment. I can barely get things apart when I have the right tools and it sounds like I don't for this job.

Comment

Took the starter out. Could turn the shaft by hand, but it felt tight.

Held it down and hit the starter button. Something inside turns, but not the shaft.

Looks like the starter is the problem.

So, guru of all things electrical sold by Suzuki...what's next? New starter? Tear down and rebuild the old one?

Comment

Pull it apart see what is going on, you can't make it worse, can you...?

If you have the bike manual, it should show you in detail on how to tear it apart.

Comment

Originally posted by GateKeeper View Post
                        Pull it apart see what is going on, you can't make it worse, can you...?

If you have the bike manual, it should show you in detail on how to tear it apart.

I hesitate to say no to a question like that.

Have the manual- it is a bit weak on detail.

Comment

if this is it, it seems the same as most

Comment

Sorry about the huge picture....wow

Comment

That appears to be the beast.

Guess I'll pull it apart and see what's going on with. Rebuild seems like a good option.

Comment

Working...
                              X