New black handle bars no electical

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New black handle bars no electical

Hi I put some new black Ultra low handle bars for my bike 1981 GS550L. I got them on my bike but now the only thing that lights up is the gear I am in. Nothing else works. Help?

I think that this part is giving me the problem? Is that a possibility? can any one tell me about this part?

I checked fuses, they are fine, I had a test ran on the battery, it is fine. I have the head taken apart right now. I took off the brake light and rear turn signals. I hooked them all back up, I put the original handle bars back on to see if that was an issue and nothing changed. The only thing that turns on is the gear indicator and the oil light.
    Last edited by Guest; 05-04-2012, 11:43 PM.

Comment

That is your front brake light switch. Doesn't seem likely to be the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by oldrookie View Post
        That is your front brake light switch. Doesn't seem likely to be the problem.
        I thought it was that because I was wiggling the wires around and when I wiggled that wire all the lights went back on for a moment.
        I found a colored wire diagram for the GS550L. I am going to try and follow it to see were the issue is but I was hoping some one can give me a tip that can help me.

Comment

The only thing I know to tell you is to go here (if you haven't already) http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/

Almost anything you'll need to know will be on this page somewhere. Lots of electrical info here.

Good luck, wish I could be more help.

Comment

The only thing I know to tell you is to go here (if you haven't already) http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/

Almost anything you'll need to know will be on this page somewhere. Lots of electrical info here.

Good luck, wish I could be more help.
            Thank you oldrookie I appreciate you responding. I guess it it just going to be a pain in the butt things that going to be a bitch to figure out. Uhgg!

Comment

I'm fighting a couple at the moment too. Starter needs to be rebuilt and my front brake isn't pulling down hard enough. Feel like banging my head against the wall at times.

Hang in there...when we get them right, they'll be a lot of fun.

Comment

I'm fighting a couple at the moment too. Starter needs to be rebuilt and my front brake isn't pulling down hard enough. Feel like banging my head against the wall at times.

Hang in there...when we get them right, they'll be a lot of fun.
                Thank you for the encouragement! I wish I was more experienced so that I could give you advise.

Comment

GS550LX wire diagram

For any one that can use it 1981 GS550LX wiring diagram

Comment

Originally posted by fuelcat View Post
                    For any one that can use it 1981 GS550LX wiring diagram
                    Here is the color code for the diagram

Comment

It's probably something shorting out against the bars - although you would imagine that would fry a fuse. Just try insulating the bars from the controls - wrap some tape around the bars where the controls fit on. Make sure that there is no metal to metal contact between the switchgear and the bars.

It could also be that a wire has snapped at a connection point. That can be difficult to spot. These old wires get very brittle and can easily snap where they exit the hardened plastic insulation to connect with a crimped lug. They may look connected to a plug but when prodded the wire comes away from the plug/connector.

HTH!

Comment

Problem solved

Originally posted by JimmyR View Post
                        It's probably something shorting out against the bars - although you would imagine that would fry a fuse. Just try insulating the bars from the controls - wrap some tape around the bars where the controls fit on. Make sure that there is no metal to metal contact between the switchgear and the bars.

It could also be that a wire has snapped at a connection point. That can be difficult to spot. These old wires get very brittle and can easily snap where they exit the hardened plastic insulation to connect with a crimped lug. They may look connected to a plug but when prodded the wire comes away from the plug/connector.

HTH!
                        I found that I had a ground wire that was on the airbox I had disconnected to when I changed the air filter.

Comment

defenetly not that, all that is is a brake light switch

Comment

Working...
                          X