no headlight,horn,turn sig, brake lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

no headlight,horn,turn sig, brake lights

I have been going crazy for the past few days trying to figure this out. My head light, turn signals, brake lights and horn will not go on. Could it be the switches on the handle bars? I have a multi meter and I have the wire diagrams but I dont know were to start. It is very frustrating! At on point I wiggled the wires that were going from my handlebars to the headlight and the lights flashed on but then nothing after that. nothing looks loose nothing looks damaged.

Originally posted by fuelcat View Post
    I have been going crazy for the past few days trying to figure this out. My head light, turn signals, brake lights and horn will not go on. Could it be the switches on the handle bars? I have a multi meter and I have the wire diagrams but I dont know were to start. It is very frustrating! At on point I wiggled the wires that were going from my handlebars to the headlight and the lights flashed on but then nothing after that. nothing looks loose nothing looks damaged.
    How are the fuses?

Comment

Originally posted by Killer2600 View Post
      How are the fuses?
      I checked them and they seem fine. I am going to get new ones just in case. I have a volt meter that lights up and It lights up when I touch the connections at the headlight and the horn. I put new handlebars on and I was going to put new turn signals on but when I turned the bike on to look at the turn signals I noticed the head light did not go on. The signals on the right side flashed for a minute then stopped. I thought it was the handle bars because they are black and I thought maybe the controls were not getting good grounding so I changed the handle bars back and nothing changed.

Comment

I checked them and they seem fine. ...
        You can not rely on "seem". CHECK.

You then say you have a volt meter, use it. Connect one lead to the battery negative, use the other to probe various points. Check your fuses, if they are good, move to the contact in the bottom of the light sockets. If they are good, put the lights in see if you have voltage on the outside of the socket. If you do, you have a ground problem.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Hum. Headlight is a different fuse circuit (Head light fuse) than the other items (signal fuse) so you are looking for a problem that can effect multiple circuits at one time, like a loose connector that has multiple circuits in it.

Pulll out your headlight. Is a few connectors in there. Pull off tank, is a few connectors under there. Maybe start with the ones on that wiring harness that you mentioned.

You mentioned the brake light didnt work, you did not mention the tail light. THose would both have the same ground, so I do not suspect a ground problem in your case here.

You have multiple circuits that are not working,
          Maybe pick one and follow that circuit and test around with your meter.
          For example: The brake light and the instrument lights get thier power from the orange/green wire. And the orange/green wire gets its power from a jumper in a connector from the green wire. Maybe can find that connector with the orange/green wire and the green wire, and check for power there on either of those. Meter + on those and meter - on battery neg.

Or headlight low beam. Low beam is the white wire. Headlight switch gets its power from yellow/white wire that plugs into a orange/red wire that goes to ... ah ... the same connector I described above. Humm.

Tell us more what you find.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
          GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Mystery solved!!! Yay!

Originally posted by Redman View Post
            Hum. Headlight is a different fuse circuit (Head light fuse) than the other items (signal fuse) so you are looking for a problem that can effect multiple circuits at one time, like a loose connector that has multiple circuits in it.

Pulll out your headlight. Is a few connectors in there. Pull off tank, is a few connectors under there. Maybe start with the ones on that wiring harness that you mentioned.

You mentioned the brake light didnt work, you did not mention the tail light. THose would both have the same ground, so I do not suspect a ground problem in your case here.

You have multiple circuits that are not working,
            Maybe pick one and follow that circuit and test around with your meter.
            For example: The brake light and the instrument lights get thier power from the orange/green wire. And the orange/green wire gets its power from a jumper in a connector from the green wire. Maybe can find that connector with the orange/green wire and the green wire, and check for power there on either of those. Meter + on those and meter - on battery neg.

Or headlight low beam. Low beam is the white wire. Headlight switch gets its power from yellow/white wire that plugs into a orange/red wire that goes to ... ah ... the same connector I described above. Humm.

Tell us more what you find.
            THANK YOU REDMAN! THANK YOU STEVE! THANK YOU KILLER! I FOUND THE PROBLEM

I had disconnected a Ground wire that was grounding to the airbox when I changed the air filter. SHWWWOOO!! I am glad that is over! Now I can move on to the next thing. I appreciate every one that tried to help me with this. Now excuse me while I do a victory dance!

Comment

....I had disconnected a Ground wire that was grounding to the airbox when I changed the air filter. .....!
              Grounding the air box....?
              Maybe battery box (by the starter solenoid)?
              Maybe top of frame under the seat behind the battery?

Oh, you never did say what bike (and there are some differences.)

But congratulations.

Last edited by Redman; 05-08-2012, 12:27 PM.

GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Grounding the air box....?
                Maybe battery box (by the starter solenoid)?
                Maybe top of frame under the seat behind the battery?

Oh, you never did say what bike (and there are some differences.)

But congratulations.

It is a 1981 gs550l. Yes weird there was a ground on the bolt that holds the airbox to a bracket on the frame on the carb side

Comment

It is a 1981 gs550l. Yes weird there was a ground on the bolt that holds the airbox to a bracket on the frame on the carb side
                  Maybe someone added an extra ground and didn't think the frame or engine casing was cool enough. Some folks just need to be weird I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
                    Maybe someone added an extra ground and didn't think the frame or engine casing was cool enough. Some folks just need to be weird I guess.
                    I was noticing that the bolt was getting pretty warm. Is that something to worry about?

Comment

Or...that is not grounding the air box ... that IS THE ground connection to the bike frame.

I do not know 550L, but On 850G and 1100G is a ground wire like that in about similar location but is on the frame just above the airbox (under seat, behind battery box, on top of frame). And this is were THE black/white ground wire in the wiring harness is connected to the frame. So it could be said that if the ground wire is not grounded to the frame it can not function as a ground wire.

Comment

Or...that is not grounding the air box ... that IS THE ground connection to the bike frame.

I do not know 550L, but On 850G and 1100G is a ground wire like that in about similar location but is on the frame just above the airbox (under seat, behind battery box, on top of frame). And this is were THE black/white ground wire in the wiring harness is connected to the frame. So it could be said that if the ground wire is not grounded to the frame it can not function as a ground wire.

I will relocate it to the spot you are talking about because that make more sense to me.

Comment

I will relocate it to the spot you are talking about because that make more sense to me.
                          Naw, dont bother, that is not my point.

My point is that wire is not there to ground the air box. It is there for the wire to be grounded to the frame.

Comment

Working...
                          X