Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

R/R Cleaning, and pin-out

So I bought this a few weeks ago:

Thought it just had dust on it by looking at the picture... uh, no. It's stuffed full of dirt and sand, even the box was full of dirt I'd like to take it apart and spray it out with some electrical cleaner, do they even open up? There's only 2 screws I can see, on the back. They're a torx head with the pin in the center, and of course I don't have that type of bit...

Also, in my searching I'm getting conflicting answers to another question, there's 6 pins, obviously 3 for the stator, pos, neg, and I'm finding that the remaining pin may or may not be for a sense wire? One thread I found said there was no change in charging with the wire hooked up or not, little lost there.

Leave the dirt where it is. It will only get replaced over time.

Comment

I used electrical connector cleaner and lubricant, and wet-r-dry sandpaper to clean the connections.
      If you have 6 wires you are correct:
      3 - stator
      1 - 12V output, wire to battery with 15-20 Amp in-line fuse
      1 - Ground, make sure it ends up at the battery negative post
      1 - sense wire, extremely important. If it does not see any voltage or too little voltage you will see well over 16 Volts output, which has a habit of burning things out, like headlights.

Comment

The pins are in great shape, really clean. There's a thin aluminum panel on the back and dirt and sand is behind it, the thing sounds like a rattle when you shake it. Not even sure what's back there, might not be a big deal to try and separate it and clean it out I guess...

Comment

Working...
        X