no spark but alittle jolt...confused...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

no spark but alittle jolt...confused...

ok so i admit i am trying to learn about the electric wonders inside my 1982 gs550l but it all still alittle over my head.

i'll try to make this clear and consise, rebuilt my carbs put them back on with new rubber bits starter wouldn't engage, tested starter it was bad, took everything apart again, put new starter in (from parts bike) and it worked consistently, every time press the starter button it spins, put everything back together, no start just a spinning motor, tried new spark plugs with them up against the motor so i could see if they spark, no luck. but i accidently pressed the starter while touching the metal of the spark plug and got a little jolt. how could this be? I know its probably a bad connection somewhere but how could i be getting a jolt from the plugs?

also really confused about what all the diffrent parts of my ignition system do exactly... any good tutorials? i gotta get off the internet but thanks in advance you guys are the best....

Hi,

Have you had a look at the troubleshooting tips on the electrical page of my little website?

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by mrhedges View Post
      ..... no start just a spinning motor, tried new spark plugs with them up against the motor so i could see if they spark, no luck. but i accidently pressed the starter while touching the metal of the spark plug and got a little jolt. how could this be? ........
      Well, if not getting a spark, but did get a "little jolt" yourself, I would not be questioning that. If you got a big jolt, then I would question how that could be. har har
      Maybe you just were not well grounded.

But anyway, when you said "spark plugs up againts the motor", you mean the metal part of the plug up against the metal of engine so that the plug is grounded....?

And where are yhou locatged in general? Maybe put thstg in your profile (UserCP) and that will show up in everhy posting. Maybe also put yhor bike in the signature line.
      Last edited by Redman; 05-10-2012, 09:37 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

ok so i admit i am trying to learn about the electric wonders inside my 1982 gs550l but it all still alittle over my head.

i'll try to make this clear and consise, rebuilt my carbs put them back on with new rubber bits starter wouldn't engage, tested starter it was bad, took everything apart again, put new starter in (from parts bike) and it worked consistently, every time press the starter button it spins, put everything back together, no start just a spinning motor, tried new spark plugs with them up against the motor so i could see if they spark, no luck. but i accidently pressed the starter while touching the metal of the spark plug and got a little jolt. how could this be? I know its probably a bad connection somewhere but how could i be getting a jolt from the plugs?

also really confused about what all the diffrent parts of my ignition system do exactly... any good tutorials? i gotta get off the internet but thanks in advance you guys are the best....
        It takes alot of volts and a good plug ground for electricity to jump a spark plug gap. If the voltage is too low or the ground too poor you won't see a spark but the electric is still there and if you, with any part of your body, provide a good path to ground you'll feel it

Comment

[QUOTE=Killer2600;1646007]It takes alot of volts and a good plug ground for electricity to jump a spark plug gap.

So i should be able to take the my voltage meter and check if the plug is getting 12.6v and if it is then there's a problem with the coils?

I read over basecliff's great site and have instructions on checking the system But I'm a little confused on what all the different parts to the system do. this is the first time i've worked with anything electronic

I rested the metal part of the plug against the metal motor as recommended. No spark.

Comment

If you google "spark ignition systems " for gasoline engines, you'll get some good basic info on what's supposed to happen to produce spark. Probably best to start there and then return to Basscliff's site for how this relates to your bike's system.
            1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

WOW.

My head is still spinning from that "sentence".

Seems to be a shortage of punctuation running rampant recently.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

[........

I rested the metal part of the plug against the metal motor as recommended. No spark.
                Okay. So no spark on any plug.

So i should be able to take the my voltage meter and check if the plug is getting 12.6v and if it is then there's a problem with the coils?

No. No.

Your ordinary volt meter would not be able to measure the voltage required to make the spark. It is something like ten thousand volts (and is just a short pulse).

So, no, can not measure the voltge on the spark side of the coils, but there are some things you can do with your meter.
                You can take your meter and measure that getting 12vdc at the coils on the orange/white wire.
                And you can take your meter to measure the resistance (ohms) from one cap to the other (thru the coil).
                Such test will be described in about any manual.

Last edited by Redman; 05-13-2012, 06:27 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

alright, alright, sorry for being such a noobie and yes, I fail to use punctuation correctly especially on web forums...

Comment

ok so I did some checking and have discovered the following things, wondering how to proceed.

1. I checked to see if plugs spark in the dark and yes I get a faint spark only really noticeable in the dark
                    2. I checked the coils they seem ok based on the test on basecliff's site
                    3. checked the voltage of the orange and white wire and there appears to be a voltage drop of around 1 to 1.5. I followed it and seems to be the case all the way to the ignitor

So I should next check the resistance in all the orange wires? it seems the ground to the ignitor is melted/worn could that be the location of the voltage drop?

thanks for your patience still trying to figure all this out.

Comment

Clean up that ground wire to ignitor- make sure ignitor has good ground contact . If it's mounted to airbox, run a jumper wire to battery negative.Then go back and measure the voltage at orange/white wire at coil ( the one that had 1 to 1.5 drop) while you are cranking- what do you get?
                      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Working...
                      X