stator cover getting hotter than engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

stator cover getting hotter than engine

I just bought and installed an electrosport stator and regulator and it charges fine but the stator cover gets really hot on even just a short ride. I eliminated the wiring through the switch so all three stator legs go right to the r/r. I also wired the ground right to the battery, am i missing something that is making it so hot. Its a 1980 gs550l thanks for any help.

Is the bike low on oil?

It needs oil to cool the stator.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

As tom said..its oil cooled. The cover is much thinner as well and heat transfers faster thru the thinner aluminum. I suspect your just feeling the hotness of the oil thats running thru there..nothing to worry about unless the oil light on the guages is on.
      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Refer to the stator papers and the test for the regulator rectifier.

I think if I read it correctly that the excess voltage is shunted back into the stator to dissipate as heat. If your new stator is producing a higer level of output then it would follow that more energy is returned to the stator?

mebbe?

Where is Posplayr........

Comment

The oil is full on the sight glass.....but dont know when it was last changed because the bike is new to me. Have only gone on a few short rides. I have heard pros and cons about running the r/r with a fuse directly to the battery instead of feeding it back into the system through the factory wiring. I hope that changing the oil will help....who knows the oil in the cases could be more gas than oil cause the fuel petcock is broken in the on position.

Comment

Better check to see if there is gas in the oil, that would be bad. If there is don't run it any more until you fix that problem. Is the oil over the top of the sight glass?
            Leaving the petcock on is OK, it's supposed to be left on. As long as the petcock is working correctly it shuts the fuel off when the engine isn't running. They do fail commonly after sitting unused twenty or so years.
            None of these would effect the hot stator cover in the slightest.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

All my bikes get pretty hot on the stator case.
              Think about it...It's attached to the side of a motor, and there's hot oil running threw it....it's gonna get hot!
              Last edited by Guest; 05-17-2012, 03:19 PM.

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. Mygs550,

Yes, the stator gets warm during operation and the case can act as a heat sink.

Be sure that all of the electrical connections, grounds, fusebox, etc, are clean, clean, clean. See the electrical section of my website for all of Mr. posplayr's excellent write-ups on the GS electrical system. You'll find many guides on charging system repair on my little website too.

Let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Thanks for the welcome and all of the help

Comment

If it wasn't hot I'd be concerned.
                    1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
                    1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Working...
                    X