2-3 coil keeps burning up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2-3 coil keeps burning up

what the hell is causing this? i had some spare coils...they would last about 1000 or so miles an quit..always number 2-3

bike is a 81 850..

has new caps an everything as well

"some spare coils" ? suzuki ones- about 4 ohm primary? Is your ignitor surviving this coil torture with no ill effects?
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
      "some spare coils" ? suzuki ones- about 4 ohm primary? Is your ignitor surviving this coil torture with no ill effects?
      yes suzuki coils off another gs850...igniter seems to be fine...i put a spare coil on an off i go with no issues...

Comment

Wow, this is strange-all the ignitor does is ground out coil- it should have no way to boost extra current thru it . Do you still have a 10 amp ignition fuse?
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Hi,

I would start by taking off the tank and seat to perform a close visual inspection. Check for worn or melted insulation. Make sure there are no components touching metal. Go over the wiring harness with a fine-toothed comb. Check the resistance on the plug caps.

This has been my "profound glimpse into the obvious" for today.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
            Wow, this is strange-all the ignitor does is ground out coil- it should have no way to boost extra current thru it . Do you still have a 10 amp ignition fuse?
            ahh that im not sure of..ive just taken them out to clean them..

also clif ive pretty well done what u said..plus the relay mod..

i was so ****ed this mornin i forgot to mention that..

but im glad its no my igniter doing it then

Comment

Have you done the voltage regulator circuit !!!

Comment

ok so apparently my ignition fuse had a 20 amp in it...replaced it with a 10...ill post results if it changes

also its the 3rd or 4th fuse from the top right?(81 850)

Comment

the only things that might cause a coil to burn would be either
                  • you leave the key on so long that the coil over heats and the insulation breaks down causing a short.
                  • Or vibration induced failure of the coil insulation

The fuse should not change anything unless it blows then you know there is a potential short in the coil. You could measure the resistance 3-4 ohms .
                  Also confim the current through a coil is approx:
                  12V/3ohms=4 amps
                  or
                  12V/4ohms=3 amps

Do you smell smoke or burnt material?

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                    the only things that might cause a coil to burn would be either
                    • you leave the key on so long that the coil over heats and the insulation breaks down causing a short.
                    • Or vibration induced failure of the coil insulation

The fuse should not change anything unless it blows then you know there is a potential short in the coil. You could measure the resistance 3-4 ohms .
                    Also confim the current through a coil is approx:
                    12V/3ohms=4 amps
                    or
                    12V/4ohms=3 amps

Do you smell smoke or burnt material?
                    nope no coils smell burnt..i tested my spares, they were all in check when put on, then when they test out of spec

Comment

Originally posted by gs850cafe View Post
                      nope no coils smell burnt..i tested my spares, they were all in check when put on, then when they test out of spec
                      what spec? what measurements?

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                        what spec? what measurements?
                        iu dont rmeber off hand.. i think on being 6-7 ohm and 11-12k on wire side

Comment

Maybe the terminology is a problem. When you say "burning up" do you mean the coil is melting and leaking wax or that the coil develops an open connection on either the primary or secondary side?
                          1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
                          1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

no the coil looks fine..

but today i was out of town an it acted up when i hit a bump...im like omg already...so i yanked off my tank on the side of the road to find a bad connector...so off it came an i taped it up an rode it all day with no issues...

can a loose/poor connection ruin a coil?

Comment

A bad connection is not likely to ruin a coil, but it might convince you the coil is bad. They are just spools of wire sealed in a case, and pretty robust at that. Better coils exist but the GS coils get the job done.
                              1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
                              1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Working...
                              X