Regulator/Rectifier Suspicion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Regulator/Rectifier Suspicion

Decided I'd take her out (her = my '82 GS110GL) yesterday afternoon to a local client. I got 3/4 of the way there and she shut off coasting to a stop at a light (I knew she was going to stall because she was acting funny). Couldn't get her started.

I regroup after walking back home for tools and a friend (I always prefer a second set of eyes). We return and the main fuse is blown. Luckily, I don't need heated seats in my car so I was able to replace it. I notice that it doesn't want to stay running without the choke on, and when the choke's on full it sits at around 2k rpm (instead of the nearly 3k which is normal).

I get it down the road a little further after revving it a bit (mistakenly thinking the engine needs to warm up). This time, I take note of the behavior when it dies again:
    - 4th gear indicator light gets brighter and brighter
    - engine starts acting funny
    - 4th gear indicator blows out, I pull in the clutch, and the engine stalls immediately

This time, it fried both the main fuse and the ignition fuse. I'm in 'get it home at all costs' mode, so I just pull the signal fuse and stick it in the ignition slot. Replace the main fuse, start it up, keep the RPMs as low as possible the whole ride back. Success.

So here's my thought process I want to bounce off you guys:
    - the R/R box is fried. The stator is successfully recharging the electrical system, but due to the lack of regulation it is pushing too much through the circuit, perhaps in the wrong direction.
    - If the stator had failed, I don't believe I would experience too much current being pushed (wouldn't it be none at all?). Has anybody ever heard of a bad stator throwing wayyy too much current? That would be the only way I would think BOTH RR and stator went.
    - How much of a pain in the ass is it to replace those gear-indicator bulbs. 3rd was already out when I got the bike, but having 3-5 out is no good (and my brake lights and headlight... blegh)

Gotta love the timing... I've got an advanced rider course in 10 days scheduled already where I'm counting on having a bike to ride.

Yeah, that's good analysis- sure sounds like your R/R has lost its mind. Do the tests in link below. Lots of us replace the stock R/R's with used Shindengens off 30 yearold Hondas and others- very reliable and dirt cheap on ebay.

1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Check your voltage, sounds like a classic failure that will also fry your stator if it hasn't damaged it already.
      '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Hi,

What are the results of your charging system tests?

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

I've seen a bad RR with a shorted regulator section pop the main fuse. Basically, the RR shorted the bike out when the engine started and AC voltage flowed into the RR.
          Look for SH-232 or SH-532 regulators. The SH-541 does not fit as well.
          1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
          1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Working...
          X