Regulator direct to battery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Regulator direct to battery?

Bought a new reg for the GR650. It is for a Honda Silverwing.

3 yellow wire, 2 red wire, 2 green wire.

Can I Just fuse the reds direct to the battery or should I run one or both through the original fuse box?

You can run it straight to the battery but if you do you should install a 15A fuse in line. Also, make sure you have a solid frame ground point or take the ground straight to the battery. And make sure the stator is wired directly into the R/R, bypassing the stock harness. These are critical details so please don't skip any.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Read about GS Charging Health

STEP #1.) GOOD R/R CONNECTIONS On the typical non sense wire R/R there are 5 wires. Make sure these have very good connections to the rest of the system by either:
      • (1) High quality contacts (like spades with dielectric grease)
      • (2) Direct physically twist and solder with shrink tubing.
      I prefer #2 as I seldom have to remove the connections and the solder keeps out corrosion.

Just for reference, the 5 wires are:

R/R (+) - RED charging system output
      R/R (-) - Black (typically with a ring lug) Charging system return
      3 stator wires which are W/G, Y and W/B if OEM or typically all Yellow if say from an aftermarket stator

If you have a 6 wire the same applies, you are just going to have to find a low impedance switched power source. You can do a search, but a coil mod relay provides about the best option. Otherwise hook it right to the battery and make sure to not let the GS set for long periods of days
      Here is a simplified diagram showing the conenctions for a 6 wire R/R. Just omit the Brown wire for a 5 wire R/R. The R/R has doubled up wires for both (+) and (-) so it is actually an 8 wire as shown.

Comment

Originally posted by trumper View Post
        Bought a new reg for the GR650. It is for a Honda Silverwing.

3 yellow wire, 2 red wire, 2 green wire.

Can I Just fuse the reds direct to the battery or should I run one or both through the original fuse box?
        Strange, I thought the silverwing came stock with a six wire Shindengen with a sense wire (black?). Is this a FH -*** R/R?
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Thanks guys. That is what I thought, but an informed second opinion is always welcome.

The RR is not a stock unit but an aftermarket replacement. Much larger than the original.

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
            Strange, I thought the silverwing came stock with a six wire Shindengen with a sense wire (black?). Is this a FH -*** R/R?
            Some silverwings and some cx500's(same) came with the sh541E-12 25amp, others came with a sh232 18amp, the early 541's had 5or6 wires, the newer ones have 8 wires
            But it doen't matter as whatever one he's using he said it wasn't the original from the silverwing but an aftermarket.

Comment

Well it took all afternoon but the surgery was successful. Wired the regulator direct to the battery with a 15A fuse. Cut off all connectors and soldered the connections except for the crimped rings for the battery connection. Bypassed the stock wiring harness.

13.8V at idle, 14.3V at 5000rpm.

One of the original bullet connector on the stator appears to have arced slightly.

Now for the new rear tire......

Comment

"13.8V at idle, 14.3V at 5000rpm."

With headlight on?
                1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
                  "13.8V at idle, 14.3V at 5000rpm."

With headlight on?

Those are good readings...http://members.dslextreme.com/users/...ator_check.pdf

Comment

Yes, with the headlight on.

Comment

Hi,

Originally posted by trumper View Post
                      13.8V at idle, 14.3V at 5000rpm.

One of the original bullet connector on the stator appears to have arced slightly.
                      I like those numbers. I've replaced all of the bullet connectors in the charging system with blade connectors.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
                      X