battery charger as a power source

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

battery charger as a power source

can I hook up my battery charger to the positive and negative leads, the ones that would be used if I had a battery, just to check my electrical, see if the lights come on, blinkers, dash, etc....

not looking to start the bike, or turn it over, just a quick visual check of lights and such...

charger has 2 amp and some other setting available for charging purposes, was gong to use the low setting of 2 amps, and the 12 volts, not the setting for a heavy charge.

I am still waiting on a battery, ordered, but not yet arrived and or picked up....

Risky (voltage might spike high) and 2 amps won't power much- steal/borrow car battery or snowmobile/atv battery for safe testing purposes.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Thanks.....

snowmobile battery is dead as well, had to dispose of it, I guess it will be jumper cables off of the car (not running of course) just to test out...

Comment

The bike draws around 10 amps running, starting is around 25 or more. I test bikes all the time with a 10 amp charger.
        1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
        1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Well now.....crap, I am confused

I don't know what the max is on amp on my charger, but I think a quick test can't really hurt...

well it don't matter, I have a battery on order, pickup is tomorrow.......woooohooooo

Comment

Some of the newer chargers wont turn on unless they sense a present voltage, Safety feature so they dont accidentally touch the leads together and spark like the old ones. You should be able to check everything out with one though, Ive checked out cars this way.

Comment

Working...
            X